• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw X1 Vs 318D

kaushama

X1 vs 318D  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best buy?

• X1 sDrive 20D
    • 320D

Isn't this offer limited to a fixed number of vehicles? i'm glad that there are more bmw's going to enter the second hand market in a couple of years. Good for folks like me who loves buying them after the initial depreciation :jumping-smiley-013:

:P Initial depretiation of the original price? 10 mil?

after ford has taken over land rover the new freelander 2 is very good in build quality and performance..it seems to not have any of the reliability issues the first version had several years ago..

On the contrary Land Rover is now owned by Tata!

25000$ x 110 = 2750000

2750000 x Duty (2750000x0.6) = 4400000

4400000 + Agent fee (100000+VAT) = 5550000

There may be other charges as customs has not worked out exact formula!

Are you sure about the duty part? The circular states otherwise. Check 2. Terms, Conditions and concessions (d)

So duty will be 2,750,000 x (2.75 x 0.6)= 4,537,500/=

Are you sure about the duty part? The circular states otherwise. Check 2. Terms, Conditions and concessions (d)

So duty will be 2,750,000 x (2.75 x 0.6)= 4,537,500/=

This car is 2000CC so the total amount of taxes would be 60% of the CIF. Hence 2750000 + (60% of 2750000 = 1650000) would be the total cost of the vehicle! 1650000 would be the taxes. This was explained in the guideline they provided in the web. I can not find it now. But it was clearly stated in the treasury discussions that total amount of taxes the permit holder has to pay would be percentage (of the total CIF) mentioned in the circular. We are trying to negotiate raise the CIF limit as well.

We are trying to negotiate raise the CIF limit as well.

Good luck with that. $25,000 is way better than the crappy $18,000 they gave back in 2008. I'm glad I got rid of the Rexton I bought for that. With so many options they must be dirt cheap now....

Anyone has an idea of the depretiation of a new bimmer after 3 years and 5 years. Specially when the next model arrives in one or two years! I know most professional who bought it for permits sold it more than the amount they bought! Just marginal.

I think huge depretiation is due to the fact people think it is impossible to maintain. But they are very reliable cars and new 3 series diesel gives wonderful fuel consumption rates for a diesel!

This car is 2000CC so the total amount of taxes would be 60% of the CIF. Hence 2750000 + (60% of 2750000 = 1650000) would be the total cost of the vehicle! 1650000 would be the taxes. This was explained in the guideline they provided in the web. I can not find it now. But it was clearly stated in the treasury discussions that total amount of taxes the permit holder has to pay would be percentage (of the total CIF) mentioned in the circular. We are trying to negotiate raise the CIF limit as well.

I believe the guidelines was the one that I posted as a link earlier; http://www.treasury.gov.lk/EPPRM/ttip/circulardocs/vehicale-permit-20101227/cicu-eng.pdf

I know its a bit too much of taxes considering the fact that with the retiring secretaries permit you get away with just paying about 700,000 and being transferable. But that is how it goes.

BTW 2.75 was the total duty (275%)

Edited by Gummybr

Anyone has an idea of the depretiation of a new bimmer after 3 years and 5 years. Specially when the next model arrives in one or two years! I know most professional who bought it for permits sold it more than the amount they bought! Just marginal.

I think huge depretiation is due to the fact people think it is impossible to maintain. But they are very reliable cars and new 3 series diesel gives wonderful fuel consumption rates for a diesel!

How long has the 99 - 2000 model E46 320D being selling at the 3.2 - 3.5 mill range? There will be an initial depreciation from brand new, but if memory serves me right, prices don't crash. On the contrary it has been quite stable. However, i don't think thats the case across all models of BMW. The 3 series always has a better second hand market in this country. However, models such as the E39 arn't cheap either.

Edited by rangerover

How long has the 99 - 2000 model E46 320D being selling at the 3.2 - 3.5 mill range?

Those were imported around 2 mil brand new. So they never depreciated, but appreciated due the devaluation of the Rs.

I believe the guidelines was the one that I posted as a link earlier; http://www.treasury.gov.lk/EPPRM/ttip/circulardocs/vehicale-permit-20101227/cicu-eng.pdf

I know its a bit too much of taxes considering the fact that with the retiring secretaries permit you get away with just paying about 700,000 and being transferable. But that is how it goes.

BTW 2.75 was the total duty (275%)

Gummybr i agree with you. I think Pre**ige is also misleading people. They are showing the duty calculation as 60% of CIF value. But realistically it should be 60% duty payable - (CIF x 185%) x 60%.

185 % - <2000cc diesel { ref: http://badusure.com/blog/2010/06/sri-lanka-announces-new-tax-structure-for-motor-vehicles/ }

therefore duty should be {Rs. 2,750,000 ($25,000 @ 110/$) x 187% } x 60% = Rs. 3,085,500

Total Cost = Rs. 2,750,000 (cif value) + Rs. 3,085,000 (duty) + Rs. 1,000,000 (handling charges) = Rs. 6,835,500

There is a lot of ambiguity as to how the taxes work out. This is creating a lot of confusion and its a big disadvantage for the consumer. I think it will be very helpful if someone who's capable on this forum clarify this for us by contacting the relevant authority.Thanks in advance.

I believe the X1 is a worthless buy because it doesn't serve a solid purpose (don't mean to offend anyone)..Its not comfortable as much as a car..can only carry 4 people according to the above info...As an SUV it does not serve the purpose of an off road capable vehicle..Looks more like a Wagon to me..moreover gives a wanna be impression..It says out loud "I so badly want a BMW SUV..but this is all i can afford" sort of thing...either way if some one is concerned about second hand value of vehicles in Sri Lanka they are better off buying a Japanese vehicle....

You got a point there. But after reading lots of user reviews, it looks like X1 is gonna be a hit. Even in Europe forget countries like ours. It has become most liked car in India according to a recent poll.

Most manufacturers make softroaders these days than proper off road vehicles. The most models; we discuss here, are softroaders (Crossover utility vehicles) than proper offroaders. Hyundai and Kia both has adopted this product strategy. The sorrento had been a proper ladder frame offroader and they have made it a CUV after a market survey. Most so called SUVs rather CUVs do not march to terrains, which need proper offroad handling according to them.

Why do we opt for SUVs, CUVs or SAVs? Because of the road conditions here. Very few people go on trekking in jungles with those vehicles. We live in concrete jungles or villages with horrible roads. But going for a full size SUV has to suffer a serious limitation. Problems with handling and overall ride quality. India's best selling Fortuner had been criticized for its awful body rolling and cornering ability. You may remeber the horrible agricultural ride quality of old Montero sport. Even brilliant new Tucson has firm ride quality and some issues in over all comfort. I have test driven it. It is probably the sportiest CUV out of the lot along with poorly supported Sportage here in Sri lanka. New but BOXY X-trail comes close too. I am talking about diesels. CRV is very good with some girly looks.

BMW 3 series has so many awards due to its firm road binding type handling and cornering. I have driven it in UK. It handles superbly! Shear pleasure to ride. It has superb center weight distribution and traction control. Center of gravity is such you can take a bend without any body roll at a speed you can not imagine to do with any of the models discussed here. But there is a limitation. It is really low and Sri lankan conditions would not forgive the car.

According to user and expert reviews X1 has almost 90-95% of the handling abilities of 3 series. It drives almost like a sedan! It looks like a sport car and handles like a sport car. X1 is based on 3 series chassis. So it hits the perfect sweet spot for the road like ours. Sporty ride quality with CUV qualities. There are some videos and reviews discussing its offroad abilities too. Though it is not a hardcore 4X4, it does some serious off road stuff. More than necessary to concur bad road conditions here. So it serves the purpose for most IMHO.

I am not telling this is the best car for the permit. But if you look for a feel of a European sedan like ride quality with touch of class and if you are not worried about secondhand market and maintenance issues, it is one good option out of limited options for the permit. Only point puts me off it is the rear seat comfort.

I have done lots of reading around options available for the permit. So I thought I should share some thoughts on X1. This is of course my opinion based on personal preference!

It is crampy for the rear passengers! Specially for the third person if someone squeezes in between rear two. Front almost same space as 320D. It is two early to judge here in Sri Lanka. They have only sold less than ten cars it seems. But in many user reviews in India and Europe people praise the car. If not for the space issue it would have been a perfect choice for a family car here.

It is crampy for the rear passengers! Specially for the third person if someone squeezes in between rear two. Front almost same space as 320D.

Even in the 3 series, three people in the rear is a tight fight, mostly because of the transmission tunnel sticking out.

I would go for a 3 series... its prob the best out there when compared to other luxury compact cars... if you want a SUV go for an Santa of Sorento.. both very good built quality, great looks, 7 usable seats and 4wheel drive.. for some reason the the X1 looks like a Honda Jazz, the size wise..

• 2 weeks later...