• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw X1 Vs 318D

kaushama

X1 vs 318D  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best buy?

• X1 sDrive 20D
    • 320D

There are two offerings from BMW for permit holders. X1 and 318D

X1 is an SAV (sports utility vehicle). The model offered has sDrive. Two wheel drive. The new model came out last quarter of 2010 and it has bit of a wagon look. Rear passengers has less room than 318D and in fact it is a 4 seater than 5 seater. Slightly more ground clearance than 318D. Rear seats can be folded, which gives more luggage cabin. Rear seats can be reclined too. Definitely more luggage space than the car. Although it is an SAV it is just a car like cross over with unique looks.

318D has the same engine and transmission. It is a proper five seater with less luggage space. Less ground Clarence. The model is 5 years old and has got a mid cycle face lift recently. It will depreciate more when the new model arrives in three years.

X1 gives more value? Your opinions please!

BMW-X1-India.jpg

3er_sedan_318d.jpg

Edited by kaushama

318D has got 140 odd bhp, which is not too bad!! but that car looks fantastic. Definetly my next purchase (probably a 320i used). If u r worried about the second hand value stick with the 318d. IMHO the x1 is an acquired taste! :D

I thought X1 will retain more value as it is new model. BMW will not change it for next 6-7 years but 318D will acquire a new look in 2-3 years time. I agree the look of X1 has some thing odd feeling!

i think SUVs in general have an ability retain more of it's original value than sedans. given also the fact that X1 is a new model as noted, i am quite certain that X1 will have less depreication. x1 will have a better snob factor too. you cannot also discount the extra ride height advantage especially now that weather gods frequently wreak havoc.

but which car would put a bigger smile on your face?

I believe the X1 is a worthless buy because it doesn't serve a solid purpose (don't mean to offend anyone)..Its not comfortable as much as a car..can only carry 4 people according to the above info...As an SUV it does not serve the purpose of an off road capable vehicle..Looks more like a Wagon to me..moreover gives a wanna be impression..It says out loud "I so badly want a BMW SUV..but this is all i can afford" sort of thing...either way if some one is concerned about second hand value of vehicles in Sri Lanka they are better off buying a Japanese vehicle....

I thought X1 will retain more value as it is new model. BMW will not change it for next 6-7 years but 318D will acquire a new look in 2-3 years time. I agree the look of X1 has some thing odd feeling!

The current e9X 3 Series will be replaced by the new F30 in 2012. My opinion is that there will be a better second hand market for an SUV compared to a car due to road conditions in SL.

Edited by madmax

3er_sedan_318d.jpg

Don't expect the one you get to look exactly the same. This looks like a top of the line Euro Spec. What you might be getting could very well be a base version. And "sDrive" is BMW fancy talk for saying it's RWD. Not a special feature or options package....

BTW are they stick or auto?

Edited by madmax

No Jap SUV is on offer unless A*W would be successful in their bid to bring scaled down diesel X-Trail. Montero sport and fortuner both are Thai made! X1 is in fact not an SUV. It is an SAV. Sports activity vehicle. There is marginal ground clearance benefit over 318D. I think the look of X1 is something common for BMW cars. At first they have an acquired taste. But later grow on people and look acceptable. This has happened to many of their vehicle.

If I can sell it for 5.5 mil after 3 or 5 years that would be OK for me. I prefer the look of the car over X1. Toyotas and other Jap makes are very reliable and easy to maintain. But they lack the X-FACTOR of the European siblings.

I believe the X1 is a worthless buy because it doesn't serve a solid purpose (don't mean to offend anyone)..Its not comfortable as much as a car..can only carry 4 people according to the above info...As an SUV it does not serve the purpose of an off road capable vehicle..Looks more like a Wagon to me..moreover gives a wanna be impression..It says out loud "I so badly want a BMW SUV..but this is all i can afford" sort of thing...either way if some one is concerned about second hand value of vehicles in Sri Lanka they are better off buying a Japanese vehicle....

Yep the x1 is better option than going for a car,

Yet it will never be the same as a off roader,

And this will be a very basic 2wd model,

The santafe are sorrento will be more balanced as they come with 4wd

The fortuner that will be brought down is a 2.5 diesel..this is a seriously underpowered vehicle..if someone is considering buying an X1 they should also checkout the 2011 lr2..it looks pretty impressive and the four wheel drive HSE td4 is offered when i checked last..

And whatever the SUV one can get for permit would be a base model unless they are Korean made ones. They offer real value for money, if you are not bothered about the secondhand market. Even the Korean SUVs are not real SUVs. They are crossover vehicles. Only real SUVs on offer are Range rover, X-Trail and Montero sports. They have serious off road ability.

what do u mean by discontinued...(from production or being sold under the permit)...Well i disagree because that has been awarded the best mid size SUV internationally..after ford has taken over land rover the new freelander 2 is very good in build quality and performance..it seems to not have any of the reliability issues the first version had several years ago...land rover has introduced the new range rover evoque which looks like a UFO to me...despite that lr2 is the entry level serious off roader from land rover, i dont see any reason for land rover to discontinue this model.

Edited by benj

Isn't this offer limited to a fixed number of vehicles? i'm glad that there are more bmw's going to enter the second hand market in a couple of years. Good for folks like me who loves buying them after the initial depreciation :jumping-smiley-013:

Im next in line ;)