• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gvernment Permit

zen

I get the permit this time with 2600cc limit and 40% tax waiver so I have to pay only 60% taxes. I'm looking for a one year used large or mid sized SUV or a double cab. I can spend like Rs.3.5m. I would much prefer a large SUV with a manual transmisson. It would mostly be used within colombo.

My preferences - mandatory

Should be one year used

Optional - ranked according to importance from top

Manual transmission

Good second hand value (hope to sell it after few years)

Large SUV

Mid size SUV

Double cab

Also what do you think about montero sport? Can I go for that?

Sorry if I said something silly. I don't know much about vehicle industry.

1.There are no large sized suvs with 2600cc engines,

2.To buy a jap midsized suv u'll need about the total usd 25000 so the total price will be about 6million or more, u'll sometimes be able to buy a petrol crossover for 3.5 million (eg x-trail/tucson/sportage)

3.Unlike the japanese (2007-2008) monterosport which came for the earlyer permit the new one is made in thailand.

Edited by toyota sucks

Good day to all...May i know what European vehicles can be purchased under the permit. Specifically cars and SUVs. In another recent post on this forum i saw that the BMW X1(SUV) and the 3 series 1.8 diesel is available. Does any one know about merc C180 availability. I spoke to the land rover agents and they have informed me that the new 2011 freelander 2 HSE(Full option)2.2 Td4 is available. But the price is just over 9 mil which includes a 2 mil agents fee which i personally think is absurd. Also the brand new Peugeot 508 which is also a sexy ride is apparently available. (not entirely sure of this). Please chip in with a list of optional vehicles and more info and suggestions on the best buy..

Thanks

Good day to all...May i know what European vehicles can be purchased under the permit. Specifically cars and SUVs. In another recent post on this forum i saw that the BMW X1(SUV) and the 3 series 1.8 diesel is available. Does any one know about merc C180 availability. I spoke to the land rover agents and they have informed me that the new 2011 freelander 2 HSE(Full option)2.2 Td4 is available. But the price is just over 9 mil which includes a 2 mil agents fee which i personally think is absurd. Also the brand new Peugeot 508 which is also a sexy ride is apparently available. (not entirely sure of this). Please chip in with a list of optional vehicles and more info and suggestions on the best buy..

Thanks

Mate, it is impossible to quote 9mil even the agent fee is 2 mil. I have been involved with the treasury discussions regarding the permit. What a buyer has to pay as taxes to the government is maximum 70% of the CIF. This includes all the taxes most likely that includes VAT too. So the maximum cost less agent fee for a permit vehicle is (25000 x 110 x 1.7) 4675000. Roughly 4.7 mil. This is for both diesel and petrol.

So if they quote 9 mil the agent fee is 4.3 mil.

In fact we met all the principle importers and explained this to them. And told them if they are going to play with the tax benifit given to end user they will loose the businesses to second hand car importers and perhaps whole lot of our professionals buying from as a group. Same story goes again. Ripping the people!!!

Thanks for the info kaushma..thats very interesting..well i corresponded with the land rover agents sometime back...may be they were playing me out..the options available to the permit holders seem to be growing with many permit documents being released these past few days...

If the Defender is going to be imported it might fulfil the criteria (2.5L diesel, and I think the price should be around $25,000 for certain trims) You might have to settle for the double cab rather than the wagon .... Still a very cool car

Thanks

I really not good at the subject of permits... But if u r planning go for a Euro vehicle, better search abt availability of parts and maintenance cost in advance.....Even though u can buy a good car for a lesser price under the permit facility, u will have to face lot of problems if u r nt willing to spend huge amounts in repairs......coz generally euro spare parts are not available in SL like Jap ones....u might have to import them frm some another country to get the service done frm here......that cost a lot.....and the second hand market for euro cars is not good in SL........

Specially if u r going for a Land Rover.....I advice you to consult a expert in LR s before the purchase......you will not be able to get a single repair done from here except frm the company as the whole free lander is computerized and based on electronic mechanisms.

But good choice if u can bear all these consequences......

u will nt be able to get even a simple repair done frm any rural mechanic......that is applicable for all new euro vehicles.....

Few vehicles came in to my mind

Hyundai Santafe

Hyundai Tucson

Toyota Hilux (nt sure bt it was only 5.8 million without permit)

Try KIA SUVs also

Cross over will also be a good choice

Edited by RAHU

I really not good at the subject of permits... But if u r planning go for a Euro vehicle, better search abt availability of parts and maintenance cost in advance.....Even though u can buy a good car for a lesser price under the permit facility, u will have to face lot of problems if u r nt willing to spend huge amounts in repairs......coz generally euro spare parts are not available in SL like Jap ones....u might have to import them frm some another country to get the service done frm here......that cost a lot.....and the second hand market for euro cars is not good in SL........

Specially if u r going for a Land Rover.....I advice you to consult a expert in LR s before the purchase......you will not be able to get a single repair done from here except frm the company as the whole free lander is computerized and based on electronic mechanisms.

u will nt be able to get even a simple repair done frm any rural mechanic......that is applicable for all new euro vehicles.....

Hyundai Santafe

Hyundai Tucson

Try KIA SUVs also

So which euro car did u use to experience all of the above??

If the Defender is going to be imported it might fulfil the criteria (2.5L diesel, and I think the price should be around $25,000 for certain trims) You might have to settle for the double cab rather than the wagon .... Still a very cool car

Sorry Don, no Defender available for the US$25,000 permit.

+1

Now there's something fun for your permit!

A friend of mine flew to the UK just go buy a car and ship it here. He got himself a nice 2nd hand C-class at a pretty darn good price too. And according to him the entire trip cos him way less than what he would have otherwise spent on a car bought in SL.

Btw, is the permit valid only for brand new vehicles?

Hyundai Santafe

Hyundai Tucson

Try KIA SUVs also

That is so retarded, mate! No offence!!!!

Sorry Don, no Defender available for the US$25,000 permit.

That's a shame ! I've seen ones available brand new for about £17,000 (the 90 and the 110 double cab) through dealers though this could include dealer promotions.

If used vehicles are permitted, then this opens up even further.

Edited by The Don

So which euro car did u use to experience all of the above??

Peugeot 407 my friend........I have experienced all of the above when I wanted to replace the fan of the car as it has broken when I tried to drive it through water....(In a rainy day).......In tht car it was located under side (dont knw the exact place)....I had to import it from Singapore as I was unable to find a one frm here.....until I had to keep the car at my home with all switched on dash board lights......The whole electronic circuit was malfunctioned.....the total cost only for the fan (without labor) was nearly 65,000

If anyone can bear tht amount....no issues at all......I mentioned tht coz he had a limited budget bro........

Honestly tht was the only experience I had regarding euro cars and I sold the vehicle after the repair.....If I add all the costs together it excess 100,000 for the whole repair.......

Just a personal experience and personal point of view.......

Edited by RAHU

What a buyer has to pay as taxes to the government is maximum 70% of the CIF. This includes all the taxes most likely that includes VAT too. So the maximum cost less agent fee for a permit vehicle is (25000 x 110 x 1.7) 4675000. Roughly 4.7 mil. This is for both diesel and petrol.

Ok lets clear things up here.

First off you pay 70% of total taxes on anything with an engine capacity of 2001cc-26000cc. All SUVs and Cross overs fall into this category. Now what are the total taxes imposed on a regular import for a similar model, is the question. From a tax table that was posted by a member on this very forum sometime back I established the taxes to be 270% for a Diesel motor car <2500CC.

Now with the permit you only get to pay 70% off 270%! For every 1000 rupees a common man pay as taxes you will pay only 700. Not just 70% on your CIF value. The government is giving you a 30% reduction on all taxes deemed payable at time of import.

If total taxes are 270% you pay 0.7(2.7) = 1.89 or 189%

Therefore your above estimate should look more like (25,000x110) x {1+(2.7x0.7)} = 7,947,500

I have attached the tax table I derived the info from and the circular from the treasury. The accuracy of the tax table however is not guaranteed. Id be happy to take any form of constructive criticism for my above calculations. :)

Permit for Govt. servants.

Tax table

Edited by DevakaC

You have a point there too.But if you read the government circular you have attached in the section terms and conditions (d) the permit holder is required to pay only VAT,PAL,NBT AND CERTAIN PERCENTAGE OF EXCISE DUTY IN ACCORDANCE WITH ANOTHER CIRCULAR.But the tax structure effective on a ordinary citizen is composed of many other tax components which is consistent with your explanation. This is what has confused me.

This is the document I was telling about. Further we were promised at the discussions with ministry of Finance that the total amount of taxes one has to pay would be 70% (maximum) of the CIF. That was clearly stated. I think the customs is doing the calculations to round off the total to that amount.

http://hotfile.com/dl/105678808/8f8b714/instruc-sin.pdf.html

Edited by kaushama

Thanks

i think if u wanna get a good car as in a fully loaded virsion !! then get it thru a private importer cuz it will be much cheaper !!