• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Building Costs

Scooter

yes that is a good idea,,,,, and also what about certain contractors claiming to build houses with 14 lakhs, 25 lakhs.....etc if you have your land....is this possbile. :unsure:

Don't know the quality of the house they are planning to biuld with that cheap price tag. Any way I don't recommend any one to approach those big construction companies. They will quote high prices & the house will last Max 10 years. If you go trough the Sunday papers (Sinhala) they have their advertisments about thier construction work and else where in the same paper they are asking contractors to join with them in building houses and become a mutimillion contractor.

My advice is to build your house by your self. I jolly well know that this is not an easy task. But if you can ask your father to be involved with the construction (assuming you are employed in a 9-5 job) you can save a thumping amount in your final bill.Specially on sand,cement & bricks. These are the stuff mass contactors keep a huge margin on.

Members,

If any one want to build a house can get a ordinary skilled bass who had worked with big contractors get their labor charges at Square foot rate. Supply the materials what ever they request and start the work.

Have a good supervisor who will know building work thoroughly (BOQ and Calculating labor rates) who had done buildings for ten to fifteen years pay him about Rupees Thirty thousand for a month. Simultaneously has one of your retired relative to come every other day just to look after the work for few hours you will save 50% of big contractors charges when you complete your job.

Transport of building materials also is a very big cost get added up to your building cost if You can buy a small lorry for transport of supplies after completion of the building can sell same even little less but still you will be up on the deal as one trip for delivery of goods for four to five days work transport will cost Rupees five to ten thousand.

Above is my past experience in building my own commercial buildings and houses for last 25 years.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm not high jacking the topic. What about importing a kit home from somewhere? Will this avoid some of the headaches dealing with unreliable tradesmen?

Has anybody done this?

Kit sets you can buy from overseas (china) will have steel or wooden frame rather concrete beams as we do. Most of the countries around the world(Japan, Australia, New Zealand) have steel or wooden frames to stand still for earthqakes.

Lite Steel frame houses will be a good option, however your walls will need to be wooden as the load bearing capacity of lite steel is much less than concrete.

I have seen a neighbour of mine has imported a kit set from US and built a house. It had a wooden frame. This neighbor doesn't talk to anyone so I can't provide any more information.

I have seen a neighbour of mine has imported a kit set from US and built a house. It had a wooden frame. This neighbour doesn't talk to anyone so I can't provide any more information.

lol !! AWESOME :D Where on earth do you live?

Edited by Kavvz

Kit sets you can buy from overseas (china) will have steel or wooden frame rather concrete beams as we do. Most of the countries around the world(Japan, Australia, New Zealand) have steel or wooden frames to stand still for earthqakes.

Lite Steel frame houses will be a good option, however your walls will need to be wooden as the load bearing capacity of lite steel is much less than concrete.

I have seen a neighbour of mine has imported a kit set from US and built a house. It had a wooden frame. This neighbor doesn't talk to anyone so I can't provide any more information.

'wrav001',

Few years back there were few eshtablishments who offered steel buildings and small officers one is still existing on Negambo road "Logiventures" Ltd. They convert steel containers for officers and houses with A/C.I know few others imported kits but that was a failure. NURD at Ekala industrial zone Dr. Kulasinghe had a low cost concrete Pillers and special brick wall with concrete door frames which was cheap good for about twenty five years.

I dont think any one in Srilanka will like this type of construction as we are used to old method of building a house to last for a generation or two.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

VVTi',

Kalutota construction as for my knowledge started their business by following their fathers foot steps they have few members in the family lived behind Temple Trees near Kollupitiya Polwatha temple in a small lane 50 years or more. Their family business was building repairs early days they supplied building material goods to the area. With the open era in 1978 they started Importing Automobiles to our country their sales center was where Indra trades Motor vehicle out let at present in Kandy Road Kelaniya Paliyagoda. Later they diversified to Motor Vehicle Financing business.One person is a technically qualified person who ventured out in big way for building construction I think he migrated to Australia later due to some personal reasons.

Their Finance company did use to get open papers of immovable property for finances given for motor Vehicles. There are plenty of negative reports of their integrity among the people.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

the EVO was wrecked it changes color all the time :) if im not mistaken. I think one guy lived in jawatta road. Had a S class E class the EVo and some other cars i think oh and my friend said one of the sons got a porsche. Now the kalutota building in nawala is closed (the Last time i saw it)

Simultaneously has one of your retreaded relative to come every other day just to look after the work for few hours you will save 50% of big contractors charges when you complete your job.

Transport of building materials also is a very big cost get added up to your building cost if You can buy a small lorry for transport of supplies after completion of the building can sell same even little less but still you will be up on the deal as one trip for delivery of goods for four to five days work transport will cost Rupees five to ten thousand.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Retreated relative? Wow uncle are you retreated too? Ceat is it?

But I do agree on his point on buying a vehicle to transport stuff. a lorry may be extreme, but even an old pickup would do the trick.. our 4DR5 hauled a while lotta stuff when building out house, ranging from concrete slaps to steel bars to 10bags of cement at a time.

And if you goto the manufacturers most things (paint, electrical stuff, roofing, piling, cement etc) will get you a discount some as much as 35%. It all adds upto a lot of savings if you do your own shopping.

But I do agree on his point on buying a vehicle to transport stuff. a lorry may be extreme, but even an old pickup would do the trick.. our 4DR5 hauled a while lotta stuff when building out house, ranging from concrete slaps to steel bars to 10bags of cement at a time.

And if you goto the manufacturers most things (paint, electrical stuff, roofing, piling, cement etc) will get you a discount some as much as 35%. It all adds upto a lot of savings if you do your own shopping.

Watchman, a station wagon works most of the time. If you genuinely need to haul a bigger load, hiring a lorry when you need is cheaper than buying a lorry, paying a driver and maintaining it short term !

• Like 1

That is a heavy load machang! Had a KE74 when building the house and IIRC, did 4 bags of cement at a time, tiles etc etc... Never thought the wagon could handle it but somewhat surprisingly it did.

'Watchman'

I cannot understand for what intention that you call me uncle as you do not have proper father-Hood that you may be thinking by calling me uncle that you will be able to get my legacy. Do not try that trick you are not getting any thing out of your cunning plan.

All members on this forum redears will know your low breed thereby to prove your unknown father-hood.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

We pay very high if we go to buy the reputed branded paints indoor and out door which is called weather-shield.

I never buy ready mixed paints I do all of them by my self as all the meterils needed for paints indoor and out door any color is avalible at Bankshall srteet Colombo 0110.

If you buy the ingredients and mix it your self with water a liter will cost Rupees. 100.00 to 125.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

We pay very high if we go to buy the reputed branded paints indoor and out door which is called weather-shield.

I never buy ready mixed paints I do all of them by my self as all the meterils needed for paints indoor and out door any color is avalible at Bankshall srteet Colombo 0110.

If you buy the ingredients and mix it your self with water a liter will cost Rupees. 100.00 to 125.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

God bless whoever buys a car of house from you.

Members,

Weather shield is purely for exterior walls, not for interior! :rolleyes:

Be careful with lead poisoning when use those "home made" paints and may god bless your buyers and their kids.

Weather shield is purely for exterior walls, not for interior! :rolleyes:

Be careful with lead poisoning when use those "home made" paints and may god bless your buyers and their kids.

'X Terra',

Meteriels I use do not contain lead.

Yes I have said weather shield last and that means for any one who understand it is for outside walls.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

God bless whoever buys a car of house from you.

jdnet',

I do not sell cars or houses I only devlop inherited propety houses and flats to present day requarements.

Not like you to earn money by joining a automobile Forum and write some simple automobile service tings. As you are starting a automobile work shop inviting members to patronize inderectly.

May god bless your future customers who are interested in patronizing your automobile work shop.

Jdnet May you live long to help motorists in Srlanka

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

jdnet',

I do not sell cars or houses I only devlop inherited propety houses and flats to present day requarements.

Not like you to earn money by joining a automobile Forum and write some simple automobile service tings. As you are starting a automobile work shop inviting members to patronize inderectly.

May god bless your future customers who are interested in patronizing your automobile work shop.

Jdnet May you live long to help motorists in Srlanka

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

yeah you wouldn't believe all the people i've invited over to my place. Oh wait I forgot, this isn't adultfriendfinder. Nvevermind.

'X Terra',

Yes I have said weather shield last and that means for any one who understand it is for outside walls.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

Sylvi, would you mind explaining the process you follow when mixing these "ingredients". For starters, what ingredients are you talking about.

'X Terra',

Good to hear but hard to believe :unsure:

Though Arsenic is prohibited many cheep insecticides in SL are still using and how can we believe that cheap paints not contain non prohibited Lead (and use expensive titanium)? :lol:

Lead paints survey in SL

Edited by X Terra