• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Building Costs

Scooter

It depends on the kind of house you want. Without land value thrown in, YOu are looking at Rs4500 per Sq Ft, upwards.

Better to go for a completed house, mate. Building is a nightmare these days with so many regulations, con artists, hassle from suppliers, the substandard Workers, etc.

A friend is rebuilding his house in Colombo 5 and it is costing him an arm and a leg. One Million Rs just to get the CMC to come and reroute the Sewage lines, CEB asking for 200k to re-route the power lines, and most of all, if you are anywhere with in a 3km radius of Temple trees you need PSD/MoD clearance to build.

drop me a PM if you are interested. i have quite a few contacts of contractors, suppliers and labor since i finished building my house back in 2009 and in close contact with them since then. if you have know-how and able to very closely monitor progress then taking matters into your hands with labor contracts given might save you up to 35%. getting through goverment bureaucracy is not as horrible as some building contractors might like you to beleive. now there are many 3rd party agents who can help you get through goverment bureaucracy with little hassle at a reasonable fee.

drop me a PM if you are interested. i have quite a few contacts of contractors, suppliers and labor since i finished building my house back in 2009 and in close contact with them since then. if you have know-how and able to very closely monitor progress then taking matters into your hands with labor contracts given might save you up to 35%. getting through goverment bureaucracy is not as horrible as some building contractors might like you to beleive. now there are many 3rd party agents who can help you get through goverment bureaucracy with little hassle at a reasonable fee.

Come on IJ, put the details here... I am sure it will not be taken as 'advertising' as we can always do with a few good honest contractors.

Yup,them building contractors are bloody crooks. :P

BTW VVTi's figures are about right,if not more.I all depends on the 'finish' you want.

7 years ago when my parents 'forced' me to build an extension on our property for myself, I cursed them for getting me in to debt, the hassle with the masons, the electricians, the carpenters, plumbers....

But now, when I hear the horror stories from some unlucky people, I am glad they did what they did.

Bugatti has a horror story himself. You have to be very careful when you get these so called 'Contractors'. Unless you know the fellow yourself or he has good references.

Sometimes you are better off, finding your own people and doing the house bit at a time instead of putting all eggs in one basket.

MD, I know.... :) Was not aimed at the good guys. :alc:

But amongst the good ones, there are lot of thieves machang. The good guys don't come cheap, hence many people use the cheapos to stretch their rupees and end up with so much grief its shocking.

Err...Ahem!...VVTi I should clarify before we proceed.I am a building contractor by profession.

What you say are all valid points.and as it is the case with everything there are people who do something right as there are people who do something wrong.

I believe I can second what MD says by seeing a fine example done by one of those people who do things right.

... and I can show you examples of how things can go so so wrong... :(

true enough .. following things can reduce the chances of it go wrong ..

select a contractor based through references from your close contacts, pay close attention to how things are going and if you don't posses expertise, have you backed by a good architect and an engineer, try to build up a communication channel with one or key masons working under the contractor, they might at least alarm you on things if you've build enough trust with them, release payments only on agreed milestones and always keep a good lump sum to pay once the work finishes...

Come on IJ, put the details here... I am sure it will not be taken as 'advertising' as we can always do with a few good honest contractors.

Kaluthota construction did my first floor back in 2005. i don't know whether they are still around though.

Pioneer construction did my second floor, roof top and all finishing when i restarted consturction in 2008 (finish 2009). they are very much actively in business now. one contact no. is 0773890866.

There is also a very small but trustworthy contractor called Sanju who i am in contact now for day to day matters. but he does complete houses too. 0717467933.

Edited by isurujosh

Isnt Kaluthota fellas those bunch of thugs who terrorize poor People and runs a Gini Poli finance joint off Gal Palliya in Colpity?

Kalutota construction guys are the people who built a lot of the open university complex. The company belongs to one brother in the family.

They have two joints. I think that one belongs to another brother, and there is a another Kalutota Credit in Nawala rd which belongs to another member of the family. These companies are not linked but obviously run by members of the same family.

I'll leave it to you to decide how honest or fair their businesses are.

Isnt Kaluthota fellas those bunch of thugs who terrorize poor People and runs a Gini Poli finance joint off Gal Palliya in Colpity?

The internet isn't all THAT anonymous, if it is as you say. I haven't heard of this crew, but seriously, this isn't your living room among friends. (A Slim Shady reference! Yay!)

Members,

I did a 7000 square feet of two floors Commercial building foundation for 6 floors started 4 years ago completed last year Total cost for concrete structere was 9 million. Round walls and 5 bathrooms cost me another 10 million.

Simultaneously I did out of Colombo house 1500 square feet building semi luxury 4 rooms 3 Toilets with hot water. Fans and other wall fittings in all cost me 5 million

All materiel supplied by me labor on contract I had a Civil work quantity surveying cum supervisor Rs. 25000/00 with transport Motor cycle on my account calculate and settle the payments to labor contractors.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The internet isn't all THAT anonymous, if it is as you say. I haven't heard of this crew, but seriously, this isn't your living room among friends. (A Slim Shady reference! Yay!)

Oooohhhhhhh... my legs are shaking... :))

My neighbor works there.... tried to help one of our workers who got in to some financial difficulty over a finance and they were relentless. In the end the poor bugger let go of his vehicle as they were unyielding and was engaging in daylight robbery.

No one in their right minds would deal with them, unless you are a desperado and all other avenues have been closed.

But then, for construction, they might be good... :)

Edited by VVTi

Oooohhhhhhh... my legs are shaking... :))

My neighbor works there.... tried to help one of our workers who got in to some financial difficulty over a finance and they were relentless. In the end the poor bugger let go of his vehicle as they were unyielding and was engaging in daylight robbery.

No one in their right minds would deal with them, unless you are a desperado and all other avenues have been closed.

But then, for construction, they might be good... :)

Didn't one of them have a fancy Evo and was posting on the forums a few years back? Was under the impression that this was the case...KaluZ or something - I could be way wrong here. Otherwise, you can ask him and see :)

Btw, nothing unique about finance companies sending folks to scare people there I think. Aren't they called Repo Men :D

Edited by SeanD

VVTi',

Kalutota construction as for my knowledge started their business by following their fathers foot steps they have few members in the family lived behind Temple Trees near Kollupitiya Polwatha temple in a small lane 50 years or more. Their family business was building repairs early days they supplied building material goods to the area. With the open era in 1978 they started Importing Automobiles to our country their sales center was where Indra trades Motor vehicle out let at present in Kandy Road Kelaniya Paliyagoda. Later they diversified to Motor Vehicle Financing business.One person is a technically qualified person who ventured out in big way for building construction I think he migrated to Australia later due to some personal reasons.

Their Finance company did use to get open papers of immovable property for finances given for motor Vehicles. There are plenty of negative reports of their integrity among the people.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, yes, you are right. Their finance arm was terrorizing their customers, more so than any other finance company. There were articles in the newspapers also about their really bad methods. .

But anyway, this is outside the thread.

No use talking bout it.

Sorry, completely off the car topic. Has anyone done any house building in Colombo suburbs recently? Can u help me with some idea of what average per square metre building costs are these days? Tx in anticipation.

The sqft rate mentioned by AL friends are correct and depends on the finish you want. IMO its nice to build your own home but you need a to have atleast a million extra (just in case) and lots of time. You will also have to be very patient as its very rare that it will be completed as per schedule. I on the other hand preffer to buy completed houses and sometimes you get lucky to get a well built house. Since you ask only for the building cost , you have got the answers so all the best

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm not high jacking the topic. What about importing a kit home from somewhere? Will this avoid some of the headaches dealing with unreliable tradesmen?

Has anybody done this?

yes that is a good idea,,,,, and also what about certain contractors claiming to build houses with 14 lakhs, 25 lakhs.....etc if you have your land....is this possbile. :unsure: