• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hsdpa In Kandy

sharky

This is to all the guys in Kandy who use HSDPA broadband, since I'm always on the move I wanted a dialog postpaid package. Guys from Kandy, which ISP has got the best coverage there? Especially around Dodamwala Devanirajasinghe Mawatha and Aniwatha areas. Anybody in the know? thanks in advance!

This is to all the guys in Kandy who use HSDPA broadband, since I'm always on the move I wanted a dialog postpaid package. Guys from Kandy, which ISP has got the best coverage there? Especially around Dodamwala Devanirajasinghe Mawatha and Aniwatha areas. Anybody in the know? thanks in advance!

Mobitel has pretty decent coverage. Been using two connections for many years, absolutely no complaints. Not in Aniwatta area though. I think since it's closer to town should have good coverage.

Mobitel has the best coverage in most of the areas in Kandy. Not sure about dialog, but Airtel sucks big time in Kandy .. not sure about other areas. No coverage even in Katugastota. I've tried in middle of the town with full signal, still line drops in every 5mins.

I have a dialog broadband connection at home and it's fine, but based on what I've experienced with their mobile internet I would recommend Mobitel to be somewhat faster and coverage more reliable

Sean is your connection a fixed home connection or the mobile hspa?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Sean is your connection a fixed home connection or the mobile hspa?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

My home connection is Fixed BB - I would recommend it to anyone. With their mobile BB, it's a different story I have had lots of problems when using it even in areas like Kurunegala (dead slow or dropouts), whereas a people using Mobitel mobile BB right next to me had no such problems. However, in Colombo, seems to be the other way around :blink:

hmmm sounds like Dialog is a no-winner, Sean what is the speed on Dialog mobile like? I'm just looking for something that's in the range of the 512kbps (ie around 40-60kbytes/sec download speed) bandwidth. Something similar to the basic SLT adsl package. Good for browsing and a few small downloads etc. The prob with Mobitel is their FUP is a little restrictive.

thanks again!

Well, i advice you not to go to airtel, they really sucks... no coverage at all. even in city u dont get HSDPA or 3G. only EDGE.

Even in colombo the same. recently they went thru a IP change and ever since there average dovenload speed has reduced to bitween 5kbps-10kbps which is like dialup..

so even if u are in kandy or colombo guyes dont go for Airtel. im giving these facts coz im using F***ing Airtel connection. trust me it really sucks..

Then how come I keep constantly getting speeds of around 150KB/s average in non peak hours and around 50KB/s (which does feel slow after being used to 3 or 4 times faster) during 6pm - 12am hours in Airtel? I'm not using any special package, just the Impatience which came sometime back. Unless passing FUP limit, it's quite acceptable, but I do live within city limits and got good signals and network set to UMTS only. If you don't set it to that, it'd keep on switching between 2G and 3G and dropping the line, running on EDGE most of the time.. Same with every network here.

Well, i advice you not to go to airtel, they really sucks... no coverage at all. even in city u dont get HSDPA or 3G. only EDGE.

Even in colombo the same. recently they went thru a IP change and ever since there average dovenload speed has reduced to bitween 5kbps-10kbps which is like dialup..

so even if u are in kandy or colombo guyes dont go for Airtel. im giving these facts coz im using F***ing Airtel connection. trust me it really sucks..

Ye. I got the same problem with Airtel ( Colombo, Rajagiriya).

really suck and they got no real explanation.

So I switched to good old SLT , :)

Then how come I keep constantly getting speeds of around 150KB/s average in non peak hours and around 50KB/s (which does feel slow after being used to 3 or 4 times faster) during 6pm - 12am hours in Airtel? I'm not using any special package, just the Impatience which came sometime back. Unless passing FUP limit, it's quite acceptable, but I do live within city limits and got good signals and network set to UMTS only. If you don't set it to that, it'd keep on switching between 2G and 3G and dropping the line, running on EDGE most of the time.. Same with every network here.

Mate,

Thanks for your tip.

but Airtel customer service suppose to give that information to us?

I mean,

I have made 7-8 complaint regarding this matter to Airtel customer service.

And they don't have any clue or solution for this.

just passing the ball around.

and best part is, Airtel "Borella Branch" Using slt adsl. :blink: :blink:

Are you sure you can get 150Kb/s average speed atleast 15mins without a drop? I haven't tried after 6pm till mid night. But 8am - 5pm browsing through Airtel is a real pain. I'm near YMCA building during day time and network set to UMTS only, full signal all the time, but line drops every 5 - 10 mins.

Are you sure you can get 150Kb/s average speed atleast 15mins without a drop? I haven't tried after 6pm till mid night. But 8am - 5pm browsing through Airtel is a real pain. I'm near YMCA building during day time and network set to UMTS only, full signal all the time, but line drops every 5 - 10 mins.

Well I'm using the conn at home, so yes I do get an average of atleast 100KB/s (that's around 800Kb/s) before 6pm. Have used in Kandy also in the phone, but no big issues, pretty fast. But it all depends on the congestion of the tower you're connected to, if for example lots of people around YMCA are using Airtel while the Mobitel 3G tower is comparatively free, then Airtel would be slower. 3G towers have very limited range compared to 2G so another part of Kandy may give very fast speeds. Best way to figure out what to use is take a HSPA phone, put the 3 sims and see what's fastest for your location at the time you need to use it. :)

As for dropping the line, my comp is always connected to the net when on and very rarely have I seen the line been dropped when I return.