• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hid Xenon Lights

Ekendra Edrisinghe

Question

The previous owner on the my vehicle had fitted HID Xenon lights using the old lamp reflectors.

My previous vehicle had the normal lights and to me they seemed to appear brighter at night with greater night visibilty.

My guess is that the old reflectors do not match up with the HID Xenon lights.

Can anyone suggest a HID Xenon expert that I can go to so as to get this rectified?

Word on the street is that anything above 6000k is illegal. But you know, this is Siri Lanka so you might get away with 8000k too. Definitely not 10000k and above though.

yes you can get away with 8000k my one is a 8000k so far no policeman has stop me for it :P

Searching on the net most say that 6000K is the way to go as higher the kelvin makes it harder to see through fog & rain. Has anyone ordered replacement bulbs off Ebay? Just wanted to know if they arrived in one piece or has the postal dept. improved? :rolleyes: And more importantly was there duty?

Searching on the net most say that 6000K is the way to go as higher the kelvin makes it harder to see through fog & rain. Has anyone ordered replacement bulbs off Ebay? Just wanted to know if they arrived in one piece or has the postal dept. improved? :rolleyes: And more importantly was there duty?

8000 k Is just fine and 6000k as well,anything more or less i cannot comment because i haven't used any.If you are getting off ebay stick to good brand Or try Pe##o they do a have a reasonable warranty.Cheap Hids in our market ranging from 6000 bucks is ruining HIDs ,just like neons which ended up on trishaws

Actually IMO 4300k is the best color temperature, 6000k has a little bluish tint in it

5-seven.jpg

Also you may want to look at the picture nexus posted.

FYI the higher the kelvin rating the more bluish it gets and eventually turns purple, best is to stick to the natural light levels where there is no strain on your yes or that of the oncoming drivers.

5-six.jpg

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

ok dont buy from ebay although other products i came across were good.i brought down HID's n they tend to flicker slightly...i think best option although a little pricey to buy from here coz u get warranty etc...it will be worth it... has anyone tried Bosch or Philips HID?

ok dont buy from ebay although other products i came across were good.i brought down HID's n they tend to flicker slightly...i think best option although a little pricey to buy from here coz u get warranty etc...it will be worth it... has anyone tried Bosch or Philips HID?

Hi Muditha, thanks for the feedback I wouldn't mind buying the genuine stuff do you know from where I can get them? Ya I heard that Bosch & Phillips are the way to go, though I havent seen them anywhere.

Guys i have also fitted HIDs to my car.. Sure it gives good light and never had issues with cops up to date. They are H4 6000K ones. On my opinion its worth using existing halogen lights.. Unless your car is having poor halogen headlights.. I telling i'm having same type of cars one fixed with Xeonn 6000K HIDs (and properly aligned by a place who has equipment needed for the job) and one with Factory fitted Halogens. I likes the HIDs early days i fixed them but now i prefer driving the one with halogens.. I believe halogens produce more usable light than HIDs. :alc:

HIDs are good to give a punishment to stupid drivers who doesn’t know to Dip their headlights.. Some times it’s a little fun to blind them for few seconds for their bad practice.. :violent-smiley-030:

Hi Muditha, thanks for the feedback I wouldn't mind buying the genuine stuff do you know from where I can get them? Ya I heard that Bosch & Phillips are the way to go, though I havent seen them anywhere.

I'm using Philips genuine 6000K H7 coversion kit brought from ebay for around 25 grand. fixed them my self and did not require alignment at all. they are better than the genuine bi-xenons that I have in my other car.

Hmm i came across the Bosch brand in a kirulapana parts shop near the cargills building, but if u can't find better to opt if have some one kind enough to send from abroad :)

other than that its kinda usual places like Ad***ce, P**co etc... but i do believe without a proper reflector to handle the HID its better off to stick with white 100w halogen bulbs & might also wanna change the holders too.

just went through eBay again u can get Philips around the $170 mark but no shipping here. what i would do is ask someone there to buy n send it here.... just a thought :D

like Mr.Clarkson would say "No, no, no. There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful."

(me telling about cheap HID's n expensive once) :P

I've been using 4300Ks in my vehicle for the past two years, and they're still brighter than halogens. I think some of the posters in the thread are dissatisfied with the amount usable light because they tend to go for 6000k bulbs. 4300K may not look as cool, but it is pure white with a slight hint of yellow, and simulates daylight like no other. Anything above 6000K will just cause massive eye strain especially when driving in unlit areas for extended periods of time (I bought a pair of 8000K replacement bulbs just to try them out, they're bloody awful in the rain, you might as well be using one of those LED flashlights you can buy from Pettah for 150/-).

thought to revive this thread as I'm looking for a HID conversion kit in the bay of e and almost all matching conversion kits I found the sellers will not ship to Sri Lanka. Has anyone noticed this? any particular reason such as return/deport by customs by any chance?

Hmm interesting i was able to find a quite a lot actually :unsure:

Before you search go to advance search and select only show items available to Sri lanka.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=xenon+conversion+kit&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=xenon+conversion+kit&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SubLocation=1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D0&_salic=1&_fsradio2=%26LH_AvailTo%3D1&_saact=187&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

BTW Harshan what is the color temperature you are looking for ? And im assuming its H4 right ?

Edited by The Stig

Some sellers don't ship to SL (mostly HK) because they have been burned by creeps who lie about not having received their package and ask for refunds. It's happened to me with a few sellers who previously shipped to SL. It isn't a big loss for them to exclude SL from their shipping locations.

yep not likely u'll find something shipped here, but like i said before here opt to buy sumthing branded like philips etc coz the kit i brought has a small flicker with it now.... :( it didnt cost much but still

Could find a US based seller but you know, they are not among the first few pages when you sort based on the purchase price + shipping :) Cheapest options don't ship anymore to SL

I already have high beams running on HID (in 406, there are 04 lights, 02 for low beam and 02 for high, all H7) with 6500k and gives a superb visibility in night only issue is takes few seconds to light at full blast.

This time I'm looking for pair of H1s with 8000k for the driving lamps on the front bumper. They gives better visibility to identify ripples and potholes in SL roads and I can't take a chance with extra lowered Executive suspension.

Some sellers don't ship to SL (mostly HK) because they have been burned by creeps who lie about not having received their package and ask for refunds. It's happened to me with a few sellers who previously shipped to SL. It isn't a big loss for them to exclude SL from their shipping locations.

Yeah, that could be the reason and worried this will influence other sellers and we find us in a situation where nothing to be purchased off from bay of E. Initially thought something to do with global politics and economic restrictions :D

Also machan Harsha, please lower your head lamps once you get them so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

It's only high beams and I do dip the beam strictly (whether with HID or not) and with HIDs I'm extra cautious not to blind oncoming drivers. This doesn't apply for some idiots whos driving position is 3-4 feet above ground and doesn't know what the low beam is. You know the population I'm referring to I guess ;)

I already have high beams running on HID (in 406, there are 04 lights, 02 for low beam and 02 for high, all H7) with 6500k and gives a superb visibility in night only issue is takes few seconds to light at full blast.

This time I'm looking for pair of H1s with 8000k for the driving lamps on the front bumper. They gives better visibility to identify ripples and potholes in SL roads and I can't take a chance with extra lowered Executive suspension.

well here is a custom made search just for you :)Hid xenon fog kit h1 8000k

Be careful though, some dont include the ballast in the package.

Also i am given to understand that xentec kits are of sub par quality so you might want to keep away from them. VVME are supposedly somewhat better.

Edited by The Stig