• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes W140 S500

rangerover

I'm extremely fed up of the Allion vs premio vs vitz vs bla bla topics coming up every day. Going through the forum is being made utterly mundane by these topics.

Any whooo, i'm considering an investment in a mid nineties merc s class W140 gas gussler. Any of you guys have any feedback on specifics I should look for, going market rates and other details i need to take in to considertation when buying this beast? Also some feedback on ownership experience would be highly valued. Before the price reduction the Lawasia type models when for around 3.3 mil. I dont intend on using it as a daily car, but to buy one and bring it to a brand new condition to use it occationally to satisfy the gagaster inside me :lol:

As they say this is one of the last truley over engineered mercs to be produced and no other car has equaled it in its "sheer ganster menance". I read some where that the mercedes W140 is the "God amongst the masses, the wolf amongst sheeps and a sprinkle of quality in a throw away world". :lol:

I'm extremely fed up of the Allion vs premio vs vitz vs bla bla topics coming up every day. Going through the forum is being made utterly mundane by these topics.

Any whooo, i'm considering an investment in a mid nineties merc s class W140 gas gussler. Any of you guys have any feedback on specifics I should look for, going market rates and other details i need to take in to considertation when buying this beast? Also some feedback on ownership experience would be highly valued. Before the price reduction the Lawasia type models when for around 3.3 mil. I dont intend on using it as a daily car, but to buy one and bring it to a brand new condition to use it occationally to satisfy the gagaster inside me :lol:

As they say this is one of the last truley over engineered mercs to be produced and no other car has equaled it in its "sheer ganster menance". I read some where that the mercedes W140 is the "God amongst the masses, the wolf amongst sheeps and a sprinkle of quality in a throw away world". :lol:

I dunno, personally I think the W140 has a reputation for solidity that it doesnt entirely deserve. This was the car that marked the point that Mercs went from being completely bulletproof cars that would go on for ever and started turning into over gizmo'd barges. My fave S class is the older W126, truly the last really old school Merc.

Srill, they are impressive cars I guess, most of the cars here are 280s or 320s and Ive seen one red car with V12 badges though I dont know if it really has a 12. Never seen a 500 here myself but its long been called the ideal spec if you can live with the thirst.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/s-class-w140-1991

That link should help. From personal experience I've seen quite a few of them at D*MO with various random electrical issues. Lots of motors in that car and none of them are cheap!

Edited by Supra_Natural

I agree with S_N, If i was going for one, I'd choose a W126. Though I'd think it might be bit hard to find a good one in the market cos a lot of them seem to have been converted to Diesel and some with very unappealing numbers like 65- and 325-... I dont think there are that many diesel-converted W140s.. i dont recall seeing any diesels for that matter...

I agree with S_N, If i was going for one, I'd choose a W126. Though I'd think it might be bit hard to find a good one in the market cos a lot of them seem to have been converted to Diesel and some with very unappealing numbers like 65- and 325-... I dont think there are that many diesel-converted W140s.. i dont recall seeing any diesels for that matter...

Yep. most of them are running on Jap Diesels. What a waste.... :(

Hey, well said and great thinking.

Few S500's most are badged as 500's.

Presidential fleet owns I think a few.

Try and go for the Series ll version which is the face lifted version.

If you don't run it regularly motors and things try to go bad,

other than than look for corrosion on the doors, bit common on this model.

If its a self leveling suspension the rear shocks are abt 140k each.

But great car, well in my opining the greatest last S class was the 140 series

as a true Mercedes Banz as after tha all became Chrysler Benz's

Other parts are relatively ok,

I got old 126 - 380, pulled out after six months still the feeling is great.

Good luck

• 1 month later...