• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Little Project On 1974 Sunny Gx

Sumiya

Hi Guys

Just got 2 free days after new year festival days, could make a chassis line and and tagged a single side flow board, it was extremely difficult to

make chassis line strong enough to keep the flow board steady since it was a one side chassis line under the floor board made some spot welding to make it stronger

so the outer look of it is ugly to me still can hide them with a floor paint code. and also managed to remove rusted roof area and fabricate a new steel plate and the battery box floor board too..

dsc00001jk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc00005fi.jpg

dsc00008bd.jpg

dsc00010ev.jpg

dsc00011d.jpg

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi Guys

Just got 2 free days after new year festival days, could make a chassis line and and tagged a single side flow board, it was extremely difficult to

make chassis line strong enough to keep the flow board steady since it was a one side chassis line under the floor board made some spot welding to make it stronger

so the outer look of it is ugly to me still can hide them with a floor paint code. and also managed to remove rusted roof area and fabricate a new steel plate and the battery box floor board too..

dsc00001jk.jpg

dsc00005fi.jpg

dsc00008bd.jpg

dsc00010ev.jpg

dsc00011d.jpg

thanks

regards

sumith

sumiya , i dont see the original bumpers around, have you given them to be re chromed.

sumiya , i dont see the original bumpers around, have you given them to be re chromed.

No those are there with me , and those are not that in bad situation ,can be used for another few years time :)

i will put of few pics whenever possible

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi Suniya,

Your restoration project reminds me of the programme on Discovery Turbo "Wrecks to Riches" where the only difference is that they restore British Classics (from the programmes that I've seen) but taking on a Jap car restoration project should be applauded. So to motivate you more I thought of posting this link which is not a Sunny but a Cedric.

Good luck

Hi Sumith,

i just registered with this forum and would like to wish u all the best with this project... :) just amazed about it and the colour u have selected is pretty cool. Well i'm not much in to mechanical things so i don't know any other things to say... :rolleyes:

i'm also hoping to willing to buy a Honda Civic with in an year :P (Still collecting money :D )

Anyway what u have done so far is great and Hope a Successful end and a Rocking car... B)

Hi Guys

Thanks for ideas and courage provided, it always help to do little more and better work all the time, appreciate them :)

Since newly welded part tend to get corrosion put and oil primer coat on them to avoid rust them again, and also removed

fender part to weld new steel plate there since it has been corroded and lot of body filler on this area.

manged to take a snap on little fellow on it , he is worried about this more than me always plays with it .

dsc00030xr.jpg

dsc00085di.jpg

dsc00084whn.jpg

dsc00029g.jpg

dsc00027jv.jpg

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi Guys

I am planning to restore my 1974 sunny GX again since it has got some corrosion etc and also not in very good condition in suspension brake wiring etc.

I can’t negotiate the time since I am able to work on weekends and week day’s nights and also I am going to do it myself and also depending on my financial situation(planning to take help from my dad if I get stuck in middle) I am not at all a good mechanic or paint guy. I am going to try it and see how it works.

I am Planning these kind works this time:-

1. Remove all the rust and repaint it with different color (at the moment it is avocado but I thinking of putting it original color which is most likely Subaru blue).

2. Repair the brake system with new drums and disks (front) and replace the brake washers liners and also to replace brake fluid piping system.

3. New set of shock absorber and replace the front steering column and rack end system and front ball joint, tie rod end etc etc.

4. Update wheels from 12 “to 13 “with 165/70 X 13 profiles to minimize Speedo meter reading errors

5. need to replace all door lock system and glass winders and also need front driving side new glass (since the

existing one is not much clear)

6. Take the behind axle and differential and oiling it repaint it with thick black and install back.

7. Changing of gear box fluid.

6. Repaint the radiator with black color and change cooling thermostat from 76 C- 82 C and also planning to put new set of hoses and clamps for cooling system.

7. Put up new wiring back specially engine room wiring which is not at all in order.

8. Putting up new upholstery and need to find a set of seat belts too.

9. Making up the Air conditioner working back (which is not possible to do my self)

You guys comments and suggestions are welcome, time to time I will update status and pictures if possible.

Any question occurs related will be posted on the same thread as for easiness and help.

:)

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hey Sumith,

I'm not a pro in cars but will give a small opinion.

If you can, get a relaible & a knowlegebale person to be with the car so that you can leave it at the garage while the work is done on the car. Recently when I met with an accident (with a EG8 ricer) I met the garage person and listed down the tiny things to be done other than the major repair.(13,000 got approved on the spot only 8000 cost me for the repair so with the balance did couple of other mods to the car you know :rolleyes: ) While the car was in the garage for nearly 2 days, I sent a retired driver to the garge to be with the car.(He is a neighbour & personnaly known to me since my small days). So I got the job done without any hassle.

I assume you watch Dicovery Turbo in your cable TV. It telecasts lot of programmes related to car restorations. Specially vintage cars.

All the best bro!

Hi Guys

thanks everone for ideas a lot :)

Could finish driver side flow board a little still have to make sheet holders , removed a part from water drainage lane since it has corroded .

thinking of finishing whole tinkering work on coming Wesak holidays if bloody rain doesn't fall :(

dsc00002jt.jpg

dsc00003hs.jpg

dsc00005xy.jpg

dsc00007enf.jpg

thanks

regards

sumith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like you are an expert welter and tinker now :) Also it looks like you need a new set of tyres ! Good luck and keep going !

Hi Don

Are you series or kidding me dude , this is my very first tinkering work , got lot of internet resources helpful for this project,

i am not at all a expert in this field

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi Don

Are you series or kidding me dude , this is my very first tinkering work , got lot of internet resources helpful for this project,

i am not at all a expert in this field

thanks

regards

sumith

I think you have done a really good job, especially with the metal fabrication work. How did you learn to weld ?

Hi Guys

Thanks for appreciation and help and suggestions and precautions, those will encourage me to do little more work than that were planned

except my Employment profession i have not done any higher studies , most of them are through observation,even if you are watching at a mechanic or painter ar any kind of labour there are so many things to take.

i am able to do most of mechanical stuff and also electricals those all through observation and studied workshop manual.

My first intention was to be a automobile engineer, parents changed my mind towards Information technology ,still i like spend most of the time with automobile :Dsometimes little later in my life i might move towards automobile industry.

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi Guys

Thanks for appreciation and help and suggestions and precautions, those will encourage me to do little more work than that were planned

except my Employment profession i have not done any higher studies , most of them are through observation,even if you are watching at a mechanic or painter ar any kind of labour there are so many things to take.

i am able to do most of mechanical stuff and also electricals those all through observation and studied workshop manual.

My first intention was to be a automobile engineer, parents changed my mind towards Information technology ,still i like spend most of the time with automobile :Dsometimes little later in my life i might move towards automobile industry.

thanks

regards

sumith

Great, I thought I'm the only one of that kind. Lol. But have to admit that you've developed your tinkering skills improved.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I am planning to restore my 1974 sunny GX again since it has got some corrosion etc and also not in very good condition in suspension brake wiring etc.

I can't negotiate the time since I am able to work on weekends and week day's nights and also I am going to do it myself and also depending on my financial situation(planning to take help from my dad if I get stuck in middle) I am not at all a good mechanic or paint guy. I am going to try it and see how it works.

I am Planning these kind works this time:-

1. Remove all the rust and repaint it with different color (at the moment it is avocado but I thinking of putting it original color which is most likely Subaru blue).

2. Repair the brake system with new drums and disks (front) and replace the brake washers liners and also to replace brake fluid piping system.

3. New set of shock absorber and replace the front steering column and rack end system and front ball joint, tie rod end etc etc.

4. Update wheels from 12 "to 13 "with 165/70 X 13 profiles to minimize Speedo meter reading errors

5. need to replace all door lock system and glass winders and also need front driving side new glass (since the

existing one is not much clear)

6. Take the behind axle and differential and oiling it repaint it with thick black and install back.

7. Changing of gear box fluid.

6. Repaint the radiator with black color and change cooling thermostat from 76 C- 82 C and also planning to put new set of hoses and clamps for cooling system.

7. Put up new wiring back specially engine room wiring which is not at all in order.

8. Putting up new upholstery and need to find a set of seat belts too.

9. Making up the Air conditioner working back (which is not possible to do my self)

You guys comments and suggestions are welcome, time to time I will update status and pictures if possible.

Any question occurs related will be posted on the same thread as for easiness and help.

:)

Thanks

Regards

sumith

[/quote

Sumith,

Make sure u count for the worse case scenarios because none of dem are hypothetical but REAL. I've gone through the mill and almost after two years, still at the tail end. Bassuwas are the worst. Make sure u have a good one on da project and easy access to the garage where u can visit da bugga at least twice a day. (morning and evening) just like doctors prescription.Better if u can get da bugga to your place and do it. Good Luck with da project.

SORRY MA BAD. JUST JUMPED DA GUNS AS SOON AS I SAW DA RESTORATION PROJECT. BAD EXPERINCE

Edited by fatjoe