• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Grilles

jdnet

Ok so I know I have another thread on this but I thought i'd change this into a DIY project.

This DIY will not be specific to your car and the materials needed and how it should be done would depend on your car. For most cars you probably will be able to take the grille out without cutting,but on mine it's a part of the bumper so I basically had to use a jig saw to cut it out. I'll be using epoxy to put it back in.

I left the center spokes holding the badge because I really didn't like the debadged look I saw on some pics. Plus this makes it look more stock.

BTW a big thanks to kelum_wj and TDI300 for helping me decide.

I'll be updating this thread as I move along.

Grille cut off the bumper.

1-3.jpg

That the front end looks like now

2-3.jpg

The grille with the spokes cut off. The mesh I have behind it is just a ordinary one I put on just for the pic. I will be installing a better looking stainless steel mesh on it.

grill.jpg

I cut off the spokes with a jigsaw and sanded down everything using a finishing sander with 60 grit and 100 grit sand paper. If you don't have any power tools you can get the same results with a saw blade and sanding it down by hand.

Next step would be to repair the holes left after cutting the spokes out. I haven't come that far yet but i'm thinking fiberglass would be the better option.

Anyway will update soon.

After looking at the setup of the caddy grille, I decided that mine should sit at the front instead of the back as originally planned. It looks like I'll be taking a trip to the machine shop to get a hole cut in the mesh that wil let it sit around the mazda badge. Also I didn't get to pick up the mesh today either. So no updates for atleast a day or two.

What do you guys think of the new grille?

Edited by jdnet

Well I did run into another problem while taking measurements. The plastic which the badge is mounted to sticks out a bit too far.

I'm left with two choices.

1. cut it and shorten it

or

2. Delete it all together and install metal strips to mount the badge onto.

I was thinking of deleting the thing all together and just mounting the badge onto the mesh but the spokes support the frame.

• 7 months later...

I'm planning to keep the mesh silver and didnt get you on 'primer''

And yeah mummy's getting a new grill :action-smiley-060:

well after some time the mesh will discolor and rust unless you bought a aluminium one. You would need to spray it with an anti-corrosion primer and then silver or whatever color you want. It's optional though. If you can find a aluminium mesh you will be fine.

well after some time the mesh will discolor and rust unless you bought a aluminium one. You would need to spray it with an anti-corrosion primer and then silver or whatever color you want. It's optional though. If you can find a aluminium mesh you will be fine.

Will there be aluminium one's in Old moor street,If so how much will a normal meah and a aluminium one cost.Thanks

I get your point,but you know,it really feels great to do these kind of stuff.It's worth taking the risk I guess.Anyways I've been doing some DIY jobs to the engine,such as cleaning the sensors and stuff.Hope the mesh goes well.Btw MD what went wrong with your one?

I get your point,but you know,it really feels great to do these kind of stuff.It's worth taking the risk I guess.Anyways I've been doing some DIY jobs to the engine,such as cleaning the sensors and stuff.Hope the mesh goes well.Btw MD what went wrong with your one?

Well I was about your age,I had riced up my 1st gen CRX with a huge gaping black mesh in the front.after awhile I wanted a chrome one.so rather than take it to me bodykit fella I cut up a new one and when it didn't fit to the front lip I also cut out the fiber work.So long story short the car ended up looking horribly lopsided like it had athritis.But if I had the patience and the maturity I have now it woulda been a simple DIY job.

Well I was about your age,I had riced up my 1st gen CRX with a huge gaping black mesh in the front.after awhile I wanted a chrome one.so rather than take it to me bodykit fella I cut up a new one and when it didn't fit to the front lip I also cut out the fiber work.So long story short the car ended up looking horribly lopsided like it had athritis.But if I had the patience and the maturity I have now it woulda been a simple DIY job.

That doesn't sound good.But I stii dont wanna giveup :D Hope not to do anything stupid with this.

JD if possible could you upload some pic's of your mesh.It would be really helpful

Gimme a break will you :violent-smiley-030::D thanks JD

Sorry dude. Myself and masterdon are going to keep bringing this up until your 18th birthday.

BTW watch out when you cut that mesh. the sharp edges will poke right through your fingers. Wasn't fun when I did it.

Sorry dude. Myself and masterdon are going to keep bringing this up until your 18th birthday.

BTW watch out when you cut that mesh. the sharp edges will poke right through your fingers. Wasn't fun when I did it.

:angry::angry:

Btw I came across this aftermarket chineese mesh made out of carbon fiber...It really looks good too. :unsure::unsure:

:angry::angry:

Btw I came across this aftermarket chineese mesh made out of carbon fiber...It really looks good too. :unsure::unsure:

At pettah? Just make sure what ever you do looks good on the car. WHile carbon fiber may sound nice, unless ou have the right car and the right color, it will look retarded.

BTW you did get moms permission for this mod right? :)

Not from pettah actually

http://factory.dhgate.com/engine-hoods/carbon-fiber-grill-mesh-for-suzuki-swift-p43113888.html

The car is a red one...what do you think?

Are you sure it's carbon fiber? Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks alright - according to the write up, they might be able to put on a manufacturer logo for you too.

Are you sure it's carbon fiber? Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks alright - according to the write up, they might be able to put on a manufacturer logo for you too.

Yeah it is I guess.....and yeah adding a logo on the side of the mesh would look good too