• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Photography Courses In Colombo

Stingray

Hi everyone

Got myself a Nikon D3100, know a little on basic photography techniques but want to brush up on my knowledge by enrolling myself to a photography class and make full use of the new camera. Anyone knows a reputed place?

I too have D3100 Its good camera... you can find lot of tutorial on advanced photography techniques on the Internet. It is a good start to learn about basic photography such as DOF, ISO, focal length etc as well. however, in whatever method you followed, you can learn only upto 50%. The remaing 50% can only be acheived by practise. The composition is something that can not be teached. they might teach several rules in composition but the hardest thing is framing your photograph to correct composition to attract the viewer. only handfull of people can do that and that why their photos are attractive. good luck

IMHO...things like composition CAN be taught...

there are certain set of rules and guidelines one can follow to learn grids and things like that and ace composition cos those fall into "technical" parts of photography.

The real challenge is to be technically perfect and still capture the perfect "moment" with your personal take on it... and that's what make a good photographer a great photographer!

Personally...and this is my absolute personal take on this :)

i would stay away from classes. It might be good to get a start if you need to know the super basics like how to use your setup etc but mentors tend to block you in too much with their version of things.

It might be better to use the web and take in as many different methods and styles and eventually find your own take or voice...

Happy snapping!

Ah, youtube has lots and lots of great stuff. But like Ripper cautioned, don't get stuck with what one person is saying.

I recently attended a workshop conducted by one of the top guys in SL. Huge portfolio, worked with some one the top companies, his stuff is on magazines and billboards all over Colombo, and I know he gets plenty of foreign work as well. Always have admired his work. But when shooting, realized that some of the things he takes as live by rules, don't really apply to my style.

They say there is only one rule. Break the rules ;) but know what rule your breaking and how your breaking it, otherwise, its just a .... mess.

Also, if you want to learn, look into doing a 365 project, or find forums that have competitions. Plenty of groups on flickr, including lots of local ones. Also on POTN for the Canon people. Dunno if Nikon has an equivalent to POTN. Also DPReview has a challenge series running. Check out fredmiranda too.