• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Painting Roof Wings Using Chrome Paint

jdnet

Ok guys,

So while I found a place to chrome plate the smaller parts in my vehicle, I haven't been so lucky finding anyone with the capacity to handle something as large as the roof wings. So I decided to tackle this problem on my own. Basically I will be updating this DIY when the project is 100% complete. So i'll start with what I have now.

This DIY should apply to smaller parts too.

Always wear a respirator or atleast a suitable mask when painting!

Materials needed

Paint thinner

Rags

Toa chrome paint can (or similar)

Clear coat (a spray can would be easier but i'm just going to use a spray gun).

Sand paper (600,800 grit)

Plastic primer (the grey kind)

1-2.png

As you can see the paint on this wing is in pretty horrid shape.

1. Using paint thiner remove the paint that's already on the part you want to want to work with.

2. If you have any damage you would need to fix it. I had some damage around the mounting whole so I used a two part epoxy putty to restore it. For other smaller damage and imperfections you should use catalloy paste (sp?).

3. Sand the part down using 600 grit paper until you get an even layer. Then do the same with the 800 grit paper.

4. spray and even coat of primer and let it dry for an hour or two. If you see any imperfections on it after it's dried you would need to sand the areas down now. Once you have done that apply another coat.

5. Once the primer is dried and you are left with a smooth product you can move on to painting it. Use the chrome paint and apply one layer. Let it dry and repeat it every thirty minutes once or twice.

6. Let the paint cure for 24 hours.

7. we move onto the clear coat

to be continued.......

After the first coat of chrome paint.

4.jpg

You may notice that I messed up a few small spots, it's mainly on areas that can't really be noticed once installed on the roof so i'm going to ignore it. Again, the reason for this is bad preparation. I was in a hurry to get this done.

Edited by jdnet

Before I forget I think I should let you guys know this. When installing parts such as this use stainless steel screws. It will prevent a lot of head aches. Who ever painted this before decided to reuse the rusty screws even though he stripped them. I had to tap five out of the ten screws as they were rusted in place and the heads were stripped so they would not budge at all.

If you do come acros this problem you should be able to find a decent tap handle and bits for less than a thousand. Oh yeah and you would need to have a drill with enough torque to drill through the screw.

• 2 months later...

Very informative Jdnet,

any idea on how to remove paint dust on a dash board ? my vehicle was painted long ago without covering the dash board properly. white paint dust has been all over the thing. :(

Very informative Jdnet,

any idea on how to remove paint dust on a dash board ? my vehicle was painted long ago without covering the dash board properly. white paint dust has been all over the thing. :(

light duty rubbing compound. Be gentle.

• 6 years later...

Didn't want to open a new thread for this question, since its related to chrome paint. My silver beadings are a bit faded and discoloured due to it having a visor previously, since i removed the visor when I bought the car, the stain marks are still there and cannot be removed as its deeply carved into the silver beading. So I pasted one of those chrome beadings from ebay, but after a year now the ebay beadings are getting cracked, so I was thinking to use a chrome paint for the original discoloured silver beading.. So has anyone used the MIRROR CHROME AEROSOL paint? Will it be a good option to paint my silver beadings with these? since using the sprays are risky due to the fact that the beadings are thinner, is there any recommended chrome marker or a small paint tube or something I can use to do this myself? 

13 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Didn't want to open a new thread for this question, since its related to chrome paint. My silver beadings are a bit faded and discoloured due to it having a visor previously, since i removed the visor when I bought the car, the stain marks are still there and cannot be removed as its deeply carved into the silver beading. So I pasted one of those chrome beadings from ebay, but after a year now the ebay beadings are getting cracked, so I was thinking to use a chrome paint for the original discoloured silver beading.. So has anyone used the MIRROR CHROME AEROSOL paint? Will it be a good option to paint my silver beadings with these? since using the sprays are risky due to the fact that the beadings are thinner, is there any recommended chrome marker or a small paint tube or something I can use to do this myself? 

The ones we get locally (specifically TOA) is only slightly different from regular silver. In other words, they're not even close to "mirror chrome". This is just my experience. Maybe there are better chrome aerosols out there, but I highly doubt it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, there's a chrome aerosol spray available at a leading Sri Lankan online marketing website (MD.lk) brand name "GETSUN" has anyone used this product???? "jdnet" thank you for sharing this wonderful project. That's a marvelous job. Well done and keep up the good work. :)