• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fishing Gear

Mars Volta

there are a few tackle shops in operation now.

the two brothers who ran sealion in slave island have gone there separate ways now. Now it's two shops... sea lion and new sea lion.

Bought some stuff from the new place last week and prices were pretty good.

There's also a tackle shop in Panadura and another in dehiwala.

Can give contact details if needed.

Also there are few shops in the building that houses the colombo fish market.

you can get things like rod belts, line, hooks and other terminal gear from them for cheaps

The important thing is..what kinda fishing you friend is planning...

Except for lures, line etc....reels and rods are not available in mainstream brands.

I do a bit of deep sea fishing and casting so glad to help out if any info is needed :)

the two brothers who ran sealion in slave island have gone there separate ways now. Now it's two shops... sea lion and new sea lion.

Wait so new sealion is the one in the fish market right?

Out of all the stores it seems like sealion is the one place you can get everything you want for a decent price. It used to be pretty cool when the guys dad was at the shop. Too bad he passed away. Now there's some guys working there who knows nothing about fishing gear so I have to keep going back until I can find a time when the owner is there, but I wouldn't go anywhere else though since it was the store that that actually got me into fishing.

Edited by jdnet

Except for lures, line etc....reels and rods are not available in mainstream brands.

I do a bit of deep sea fishing and casting so glad to help out if any info is needed :)

OT

Ripper, how's the offshore fishing looking this season? still haven't headed down south. Thinking about going next weekend.

There's also a tackle shop in Panadura and another in dehiwala.

Can give contact details if needed.

Also there are few shops in the building that houses the colombo fish market.

you can get things like rod belts, line, hooks and other terminal gear from them for cheaps

Tks Ripper,

I popped this question up here with you on my mind ;)

(by observing the old threads)

Anyway I hv given him the above three leads, let's see what will turn up.

Wait so new sealion is the one in the fish market right?

Out of all the stores it seems like sealion is the one place you can get everything you want for a decent price. It used to be pretty cool when the guys dad was at the shop. Too bad he passed away. Now there's some guys working there who knows nothing about fishing gear so I have to keep going back until I can find a time when the owner is there, but I wouldn't go anywhere else though since it was the store that that actually got me into fishing.

nah machang...new joint too is in slave island.

you gotta get down to justice akbar mw and then get into ingram street.

good to hear you've had a good experience with them. In my case, they haven't been the best but due to lack of an option i was going there.

There tracers etc are not upto the task when you consider sea trolling... Things like lures are over priced.

A mann's 30+ was selling for over 3500 slr when i could buy them for a lot cheaper from the us even with shipping costs

However the new shop fella seem to be pretty decent in pricing.

A CD18 was only 1500 bucks and an Xrap too was in the same range so that's pretty cheap

A trace wire was about 120 bucks :)

MarsV

no worries mate... I love fishing :)

have a decent collection at home that's increasing every year :)

post-2653-011829800 1294919933_thumb.jpg

That's me with a 14.5kg GT caught off Mt. Lavinia

Edited by Ripper

OT

Ripper, how's the offshore fishing looking this season? still haven't headed down south. Thinking about going next weekend.

at the moment...not so great mate...

i think this whole la nina effect and the colder sea water issue is screwing things up.

planned a trip weekend before last but had to can it cos there was a bit of rain and the waters closer to shore was murkier

I've not had a lot of luck trolling in wet weather.

Before this weather front moved in..fishing was good.

Some buddies were landing decent sized hoo's and gt's...

Hopefully things should clear up within a week or two...

nah machang...new joint too is in slave island.

you gotta get down to justice akbar mw and then get into ingram street.

good to hear you've had a good experience with them. In my case, they haven't been the best but due to lack of an option i was going there.

There tracers etc are not upto the task when you consider sea trolling... Things like lures are over priced.

A mann's 30+ was selling for over 3500 slr when i could buy them for a lot cheaper from the us even with shipping costs

no worries mate... I love fishing :)

have a decent collection at home that's increasing every year :)

Yeah prices are a bit high, I'mnot going to argue with that. Although when his father was there I always got a steep discount since he knows my father pretty well.

The thing I like about that place though is that they are retty helpful and even the son knows about the rigt lures to use.

I think the last I went there was during the middle of the NE season and I found that the xrap lures cost more there than the shops on top of the fish market. Something like a Rs. 600 difference. Although the reason I recommend the place is that the op is looking at places for a beginner to gear up. The owner should be able to tell him the correct gear to use. You won't find that sort of help in the fish market places.

at the moment...not so great mate...

i think this whole la nina effect and the colder sea water issue is screwing things up.

planned a trip weekend before last but had to can it cos there was a bit of rain and the waters closer to shore was murkier

I've not had a lot of luck trolling in wet weather.

Before this weather front moved in..fishing was good.

Some buddies were landing decent sized hoo's and gt's...

Hopefully things should clear up within a week or two...

Machan you should join me for a round of fishing one of these days. Although I must warn you that I'm more of a spear, ice, fly and bow fishing guy. Eitherway, the most important part of fishing is the cooler box.....

The thing I like about that place though is that they are retty helpful and even the son knows about the rigt lures to use.

heh heh...you really have been lucky with these guys! :)

all the times i've been there...other than having the stuff...their knowledge was pretty crappy!

didn't even know how to properly rig up a trolling lure...or even a trace wire for that matter...

used to by the stuff from them and rig it up me self at home

I don't think those guys go fishing themselves to know what's going on...they just rely on a few people to give them feedback...

anyways...maybe they were better at it sometime ago then...