• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery Issue - Air Bubbles

abiman

Question

12 answers to this question

Do you know how to resolve issue? Why it over charge?

Something wrong with your electrical system charging circuit as you don't mention any problem with other parts, alternator giving too high a voltage which is very unlikely, or maybe simply your battery is too old and has reduced capacity or filled with too much electrolyte. First check your battery.

Hope jdnet would give a detailed do-it-yourself procedure list :)

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Something wrong with your electrical system charging circuit as you don't mention any problem with other parts, alternator giving too high a voltage which is very unlikely, or maybe simply your battery is too old and has reduced capacity or filled with too much electrolyte. First check your battery.

Hope jdnet would give a detailed do-it-yourself procedure list :)

Hi thanks for reply.

I dont know age of battery. (bought recently) However there is know problem with electrical system. Car operates as usual.

I dont know age of battery. (bought recently) However there is no problem with electrical system. Car operates as usual.

Don't you get a sticker when the battery is replaced? We've had cards and stickers in all cars we owned upto now.

Is the battery overfilled? Happened on one of our bikes, lot of damage to the metal.

Don't you get a sticker when the battery is replaced? We've had cards and stickers in all cars we owned upto now.

Is the battery overfilled? Happened on one of our bikes, lot of damage to the metal.

Hi, I can see some white powder near the leaver which locks battery in place. But no other corrosion.

Is it ok if I remove some acid from battery?

Hi, I can see some white powder near the leaver which locks battery in place. But no other corrosion.

Is it ok if I remove some acid from battery?

Clean it up carefully with a brush and no, don't remove acid, just make sure the electrolyte level is correct.

Maybe this would help you http://forum.autolanka.com/Index.php?/topic/9187-battery-acid-is-leaking/page__view__findpost__p__133702

Well I'm not too keen on charging systems other than the basics but can offer you a few tips.

1. check the charging system

this website should help you figure out everything related to it

http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm

2. To clean the terminal use some contact cleaner.

3. If it's leaking that bad get it fixed right away. Like bluehaze i've had the same problem on a previous vehicle. Left a leaking battery ignores and destroyed a wiring harness and the battery pan.

I guess bluehaze covered the other possible causes such as overcharging and overfilling...

battery can get over charged if the alternator circuitry has gone bad. There is a voltage regulator built into the alternator circuitry that grounds off excess voltage as the revvs go up. When this part goes bad the voltage will increase beyond normal level with the rpm increase.

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter it's easy to check the voltage at the battery terminal when the engine is idling and when the revvs are higher...say ~3k... my old corolla used to hover around 13~14 range and not go beyond that even when i rev the motor up

If the voltage regulator is at fault...it's usually beyond DIY level and it's best to give it to a electrical joint that handles this sorta stuff.

I've had mine completely refurbed by pala electrical chaps and worked like a charm until i sold the car

and it's advisable to attend to this ASAP before causing further damage.

If the battery is ok this overcharging business will kill it soon...

If you're 100% sure the alternator is good...remove the battery cables from the car...open all the filler caps....and then short the battery for a few seconds...

If you see air bubbles appearing in those separated tanks...that particualar tank's led core is shorting and usually this means the battery would need replacing...

However if this is the case...you would have starting problems and other low voltage issues since a shorting panel wont be able to hold charge

battery can get over charged if the alternator circuitry has gone bad. There is a voltage regulator built into the alternator circuitry that grounds off excess voltage as the revvs go up. When this part goes bad the voltage will increase beyond normal level with the rpm increase.

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter it's easy to check the voltage at the battery terminal when the engine is idling and when the revvs are higher...say ~3k... my old corolla used to hover around 13~14 range and not go beyond that even when i rev the motor up

If the voltage regulator is at fault...it's usually beyond DIY level and it's best to give it to a electrical joint that handles this sorta stuff.

I've had mine completely refurbed by pala electrical chaps and worked like a charm until i sold the car

and it's advisable to attend to this ASAP before causing further damage.

If the battery is ok this overcharging business will kill it soon...

If you're 100% sure the alternator is good...remove the battery cables from the car...open all the filler caps....and then short the battery for a few seconds...

If you see air bubbles appearing in those separated tanks...that particualar tank's led core is shorting and usually this means the battery would need replacing...

However if this is the case...you would have starting problems and other low voltage issues since a shorting panel wont be able to hold charge

Hi thanks for reply.

I tested my battery with multimeter and when engine is not running voltage is about 13.5V and when I started engine it was about 14.5V to 14.6V when I accelerate engine voltage change is negligible. (about 0.1V) When I'm testing temperature is 22degC (colombo). Also car was stopped for about 1hour before test begin (after running for about 15min in morning)

If one cell has short I think voltage should be lower in battery terminals because short circuit cell cant supply voltage. Also only 2 out of 6 cells has this issue. Others are fine.

Thanks.

Hi thanks for reply.

I tested my battery with multimeter and when engine is not running voltage is about 13.5V and when I started engine it was about 14.5V to 14.6V when I accelerate engine voltage change is negligible. (about 0.1V) When I'm testing temperature is 22degC (colombo). Also car was stopped for about 1hour before test begin (after running for about 15min in morning)

If one cell has short I think voltage should be lower in battery terminals because short circuit cell cant supply voltage. Also only 2 out of 6 cells has this issue. Others are fine.

Thanks.

in that case...the two cells that are bubbling up might be having some issue.

those voltages seem to be fine and within range...

what's the brand of the battery?

worth a shot taking it to a good battery shop and ask them to check it up for you