• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fb 15 Head Lamp Issue

Isuru Udana

In my FB15 I cannot see much diference in High beam and the low beam.

And I have seen one of my friends FB15 has the same problem.

Is this a common issue in FB15?

If so what should I do for fix it?

I focussed the lights recently. But problem is still there.

Do you mean it's not bright enough or the angle is off?

If it's not bright enough you would just need to replace the bulbs as they get pretty dull with time. If the high beam is not focusing at a distance then you would need to adjust the beam.

Do you mean it's not bright enough or the angle is off?

If it's not bright enough you would just need to replace the bulbs as they get pretty dull with time. If the high beam is not focusing at a distance then you would need to adjust the beam.

High beam is not focusing well. I adjusted the beam from a workshop. AFAIK only low beam can be adjusted since there is no seperate screws to adjust high beam and low beam individualy.

Bulb used in the headlamp is H4B bulb which has both filaments placed very close each other. I wonder how can those filaments make a significant diference in high and low beam. That's why I asked whether is it a common issue on FB15.

High beam is not focusing well. I adjusted the beam from a workshop. AFAIK only low beam can be adjusted since there is no seperate screws to adjust high beam and low beam individualy.

Bulb used in the headlamp is H4B bulb which has both filaments placed very close each other. I wonder how can those filaments make a significant diference in high and low beam. That's why I asked whether is it a common issue on FB15.

When the Low beam is adjusted the High beam is automatically adjusted

Has your lights faded (become yellow colour) ?

as you've said the filaments are set close together but it's the focusing plane and point that' slightly different making one hit higher and the other lower...like JdNet says...bulbs too tend to go dimmer overtime...more common with lower quality bulbs...

Narva's and PIAA's have been pretty good from my experience....the trick is to find the originals as there are knockoffs for half the price

Another thing to check would be the quality of you reflectors...overtime withe heat and water exposure these reflectors go bad...

if the surface is not of mirror finish you will get poor performance from it

Also check if wiring is done properly since some of our electrician chaps tend to take bad shortcuts. :D

Having the bulbs wired via a relay to the switch and powered directly by the battery tend to have good results and in my case simpler wiring with easy trouble shooting.

that's how i'm running 400watts on my high beam with two hella rally lights when needed :P

the obvious other issue is lens discoloration due to uv and heat exposure.

JdNEt has posted a DIY fix for that on AL

as you've said the filaments are set close together but it's the focusing plane and point that' slightly different making one hit higher and the other lower...like JdNet says...bulbs too tend to go dimmer overtime...more common with lower quality bulbs...

Narva's and PIAA's have been pretty good from my experience....the trick is to find the originals as there are knockoffs for half the price

Another thing to check would be the quality of you reflectors...overtime withe heat and water exposure these reflectors go bad...

if the surface is not of mirror finish you will get poor performance from it

Also check if wiring is done properly since some of our electrician chaps tend to take bad shortcuts. :D

Having the bulbs wired via a relay to the switch and powered directly by the battery tend to have good results and in my case simpler wiring with easy trouble shooting.

that's how i'm running 400watts on my high beam with two hella rally lights when needed :P

the obvious other issue is lens discoloration due to uv and heat exposure.

JdNEt has posted a DIY fix for that on AL

Thanks a lot.

Had the same problem few months back,

I replaced the bulb holder. Now works fine.

hope this helps. :D

Has this problem been there ever since you bought your car ?

Did you check if the holders or things inside has been damaged or moved ?

My k11 had the same problem, when i put low beams the light aims at the sky and high beams was actually much lower than the low beams.turns out that the previous owner had done some repairs to the car and some makabass fellow has actually fitted the holder upside down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :action-smiley-060:

He had bended and did all sort of idiotic things with it that i had to replace the whole headlight <_<

Has this problem been there ever since you bought your car ?

Did you check if the holders or things inside has been damaged or moved ?

My k11 had the same problem, when i put low beams the light aims at the sky and high beams was actually much lower than the low beams.turns out that the previous owner had done some repairs to the car and some makabass fellow has actually fitted the holder upside down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :action-smiley-060:

He had bended and did all sort of idiotic things with it that i had to replace the whole headlight <_<

Yes this was there.

When I bought the car everything was messed up.Actually I didn't check the headlamp when inspecting. When I put the high beam, one light gave high beam and the other gave low. I knew it was a wiring problem and found that previous owner or his makabus has cut the wire harness of both lights and connected again. I don't know why he did that. Then I corrected that.

My holders are placed correctly. Now I am going to change the bulbs since it looks like what I have is not the original bulbs. Any idea on the cost of a original japan bulb for FB15 (H4b bulb)?

Yes this was there.

When I bought the car everything was messed up.Actually I didn't check the headlamp when inspecting. When I put the high beam, one light gave high beam and the other gave low. I knew it was a wiring problem and found that previous owner or his makabus has cut the wire harness of both lights and connected again. I don't know why he did that. Then I corrected that.

My holders are placed correctly. Now I am going to change the bulbs since it looks like what I have is not the original bulbs. Any idea on the cost of a original japan bulb for FB15 (H4b bulb)?

motorcade has original narvas...don't know the price of H4's but i got 100W H2's for 1350 a piece

i wouldn't go for the koyto or something which is very popular and available for about 350 bucks in most spares parts places.

motorcade has original narvas...don't know the price of H4's but i got 100W H2's for 1350 a piece

i wouldn't go for the koyto or something which is very popular and available for about 350 bucks in most spares parts places.

Went to a spare parts shop at Galle and they said original japan bulb is koito and it cost 2000 a piece.

Which is best Koito or Narva ?

Went to a spare parts shop at Galle and they said original japan bulb is koito and it cost 2000 a piece.

Which is best Koito or Narva ?

i had a koito replaced in dambulla once after one bulb dying on a trip.

cost was 300 or 400 bucks if i remember right...the light output was a pretty bad compared to genuine narva...

genuine PIAA looks to be better than genuine Narvas... No idea about genuine Koitos cos i think i've been sold knock off koitos for cheaps...

cost was 300 or 400 bucks if i remember right...the light output was a pretty bad compared to genuine narva...

genuine PIAA looks to be better than genuine Narvas... No idea about genuine Koitos cos i think i've been sold knock off koitos for cheaps...

Buddy How about Osram bulbs

The cool blue ones were 1750 a pair @ D*MO about 2 months back

Are those koito bulbs made in Japan?

The one I saw at the shop is made in Japan.

yeah i think the ones you bought for 300 was fake, i checked recently and they cost around 1800 :huh:

The correct bulb for the FB15 and Y11 is 'IH01'. Had a Y11 - so I've been through the whole thing before.

'H4B' is a cheap Korean alternative sold by most of the Panchikawatte and Darley Road joints and is basically a H4 with the smaller outer ring fixed on it. The smaller mounting ring is not fixed on precisely resulting in bad focus of the beams. On top of that these cheap bulbs tend to get hotter than the lense and holder can cope, resulting in discolouration and melting of lense and/or holder.

Unfortunately the IH01 bulb is rather difficult to find so I once had to fit a H4B as a temporary measure until I could find the right bulb.... bought it from Darley Road and even the seller had to sort through 3 or 4 different ones until he found one where the alignment of the filaments was even close to the original.

Only A*W has the right ones but they also go out of stock at times.

Finally got down a set of 55W PIAA Superwhite IH01 bulbs through a friend coming from Japan, and these have been on the car for over 5 years and are still good.

The correct bulb for the FB15 and Y11 is 'IH01'. Had a Y11 - so I've been through the whole thing before.

'H4B' is a cheap Korean alternative sold by most of the Panchikawatte and Darley Road joints and is basically a H4 with the smaller outer ring fixed on it. The smaller mounting ring is not fixed on precisely resulting in bad focus of the beams. On top of that these cheap bulbs tend to get hotter than the lense and holder can cope, resulting in discolouration and melting of lense and/or holder.

Unfortunately the IH01 bulb is rather difficult to find so I once had to fit a H4B as a temporary measure until I could find the right bulb.... bought it from Darley Road and even the seller had to sort through 3 or 4 different ones until he found one where the alignment of the filaments was even close to the original.

Only A*W has the right ones but they also go out of stock at times.

Finally got down a set of 55W PIAA Superwhite IH01 bulbs through a friend coming from Japan, and these have been on the car for over 5 years and are still good.

Thank a lot for sharing your experience.

• 3 years later...

Isuru did u sort it out ,, i have the same issue in my FB 15.. can u please share .. thanx

• 3 months later...

Hi

I had similar issue with my honda EK3. finally i re-wire the headlights with ceramic holders. does not cost me 3K (for all i did it) and installed Philips X-treme Vision H4 which was got it down from UK. ,now the headlights are very good. recenly did a lence cleaning and it is perfect. if the lightes comes with 55/65 w use the same wattage. do not use 100W one and it will damage reflectors.

sira