Following are the basic steps to change/upgrade the firmware of 2014 upwards Mazda 3/Axela/6/CX 5. For the older firmware , its a two step process as you have to first upgrade to version 31 and upgrade to latest version. Anyone attempts to upgrade need to read the installation instruction thoroughly, as one wrong step may result in a bricked unit. I've got following steps from mazda3revolution forum, which helped me to upgrade my vehicle(JDM Axela 2016) firmware to latest one issued at Colonial and allowed me to use the Map SD which I bought from Ebay for 60$.
2018 Connect UPDATE Procedures Worldwide
1. Note or copy set favorites in (AM / FM, etc).
2. Turn off the ignition (Off) ! Note: All electrical loads during reprogramming must be switched off,
especially air conditioning (fan blower), rear window heating, interior lighting and cars ENGINE, ALL Turned Off !.
3. Remove the Navigation SD Card of the navigation system (if car is equipped with navigation).
Remove any other/all connected USB Devices, otherwise the CMU will be damaged. Note: During CMU re-programming, no card may be inserted in the slot for the SD Card of the Navigation system be introduced.
4. Insert the "ROOM" and "AUDIO" fuses into the fuse box in the engine compartment (if not already done).
5. Connect a battery charger (charging current 4 - 5A) to the vehicle to Compensate for voltage fluctuations (optional 'if' car Battery is weak or old).
6. Press the engine start / stop button ONCE without the clutch pedal (manual transmission) or to depress the brake pedal (automatic transmission) to apply the ignition to ACC.
ONLY Amber/Orange lamp should be on inside the Round Stop/Start Button, No Instrument Cluster (IC) lamps should be on and No Green lamps on the Start Stop Switch. Note: The engine will start when the start button is pressed with the clutch pedal depressed (Manual transmission) or brake pedal (automatic transmission) is also pressed at same time. DO NOT WANT ENGINE RUNNING. NOTE: If the ignition remains in the ACC (Amber/Orange) position, IT WILL TURN OFF after 25 minutes automatically.
Stay ON by pressing and releasing the clutch pedal (Manual transmission) or the brake pedal (Automatic transmission) before the end of the 25 minute cycle, the timer is then reset.
This will ensure that the power supply to CMU during the Re-programming flashing is not turned off. THIS IS CRITICAL, IF 'CMU' TURNS OFF DURING ANY UPDATES IT WILL BE BRICKED.
Suggest use a small 'timer device' like egg timer to remind operator to press Brake Pedal every 20 minutes to prevent CMU from switching off. NOTE: If car is an Automatic, leaving the Shifter in N (Neutral) will keep CMU alive, make sure car can not roll or move (place wheel Tire chocks/rock/brick to prevent car moving). NOTE: If car has an Electric Park Brake (on Console Toggle Switch) do not engage or turn on (place wheel Tire chocks/rock/brick to prevent car moving).
7. Select the radio function ON (AM or FM) and make sure the speakers function/work.
If no sound is heard, turn up the volume control (A) or check that the Mute IS NOT activated. NOTE: When the speakers are working, the CMU system is in standby mode which is correct for updates.
8. Press the three buttons (Music (A) + Favorites (B) + Volume Mute (C)) on the Commander rotary-push button press simultaneously for 2 to 5 seconds for the Diagnostics 'test screen' to appear on touch screen in black and white.
9. Enter "3" on the test screen, then select "ENTER" to check whether fault codes (DTCs) are stored (in the CMU). Select "CLEAR" and go to the next step.
10. Regardless of whether DTCs are stored or not, on the Enter test screen "2", then select "ENTER".
Select CLEAR for previous stored (in CMU) DTCs internally cleared.
"EXIT" select and go to the next step. 11. To finish the trouble codes clearing process, turn off the ACC ignition (press Start/Stop button), Remove the key(s) from the vehicle, Windows up and lock all doors, walk clear and wait 5 minutes.
12. Re-open the vehicle.
13. Press the engine start / stop button once without the clutch pedal (Manual transmission) or the brake pedal (automatic transmission) to operate the ignition on ACC to Amber/Orange.
Again confirm that Sound can be heard from Radio, so system is ready and in stand by.
14. Connect the prepared USB memory stick to one of the two USB ports. Note: ONLY the prepared Quality Branded USB memory stick may be inserted in one of the USB ports. During reprogramming, nothing should be allowed to the other USB port.
During reprogramming, nothing should be allowed in the SD Card port slot.
15. When the USB memory stick is detected, the following message appears briefly on the Screen. USB1 ''USB Flash Disk Connected''. Note: If the USB flash drive is not recognized, go back to step 11 and repeat forward. Or you may find you need to try a different branded USB Flash Drive, some owners have tried up to 4 different USB Flash Drives until CMU confirms seeing your .UP files.
16. Press the three buttons (Music (A) + Favorites (B) + Volume Mute (C)) on Press Commander rotary push-button again simultaneously for 2 to 5 seconds.
17. Enter "99" using the touch screen or the Commander rotary push button, then press On the test screen, select "ENTER".
18. On the next following screen, select "Search".
19. First select "Fail Safe Package" on the touchscreen. Attention: Always select "Fail Safe.UP Package" FIRST, the software version numbers should also be shown.
20. On the next following screen, select "Install".
New Screen says "Installing Fail-Safe system update'' with a progress bar is shown.
Once Completed 'Install Successful' and 'No reboot required' select ''OK''. Note: DO NOT Re-Start car or system, DO NOT Re-Boot or turn off system even if asked to do so.
21. Press the clutch pedal (manual transmission) or the brake pedal (automatic transmission) to keep CMU alive. NOTE: If the ignition remains in the ACC (Amber/Orange) position, IT WILL TURN OFF after 25 minutesautomatically. Stay ON by pressing and releasing the clutch pedal (Manual transmission) or the brake pedal (Automatic transmission) before the end of the 25 minute cycle the timer is then reset.
This will ensure that the power supply to CMU during the Reprogramming is not turned off.
Suggest use a small 'timer device' like egg timer to remind operator to press Brake Pedal every 20 minutes to prevent CMU from switching off. NOTE: If car is an Automatic Transmission, leaving the Shifter in N (Neutral) will keep CMU alive, make sure car can not roll or move (place wheel Tire chocks/rock to prevent car moving). NOTE: If car has an Electric Park Brake (on Console Toggle Switch) do not engage or turn on (place wheel Tire chocks/rock to prevent car moving). This will ensure that the ACC is remains on during the installation of the Re-Install.UP package is not turned off.
22. Press the three buttons (Music (A) + Favorites (B) + Volume Mute (C)) on the Commander rotary-push button simultaneously for 2 to 5 seconds to press the Diagnostic test screen to reopen.
23. Enter "99" using the touch screen or the Commander rotary push-button, then press 'ENTER' On the test screen.
24. On the next following screen, select "Search".
25. On the following screen, select "Reinstallation Package".
The actual Software Version number is displayed.
26. On this Install screen choose 'Install'.
27. Next Screen will say "Preparing to update....." Note: For a short time a blank screen (black and or white) are momentarily displayed.
It takes about 4-6 minutes before during the flash reprogramming the next Screen appears.
28. The progress re-installation bar starts at 0% and the progress bar runs during the Re-programming slowly to 100%. This can take up to 60 minutes. Time taken depends on your Country Type/Version being installed, NA N is the quickest, EU N takes the longest (Larger File). Note: So that the power supply (Position ACC) during the Re-programming does not turn off, touch the Clutch pedal (manual transmission) or the brake pedal (Automatic transmission) once is required before the end of 25 minutes, press and release. DO NOT TURN ENGINE OR IGNITION GREEN LIGHT ON, IT WILL DAMAGE CMU. Note: Because the screen is darkened, it is under difficult circumstances for screen reading. The message "Do not restart vehicle at this time" The current (Do not restart vehicle now) Software version however is displayed during the Re-programming. Note: It takes some time for reprogramming to progress from 98% to 100%. WAIT and WAIT Again DO NOT turn on the ignition/start car to avoid damaging the CMU.
And Do Not Turn OFF the Ignition if it is taking longer than 60 minutes, see below.
After the install of the final Re-Install.UP file the Touch-screen should say.... Version xx.xx.xxx software install was successful.
Please restart the vehicle for changes to take effect. Yes, if you see this screen you can Power OFF (Press Start Button ONCE), Leave the USB Stick in for now, wait 20 seconds, and then Power ON (Press Start Button ONCE to Amber-Orange).
After CMU Re-Boot/Re-Start, WAIT, in time one of the following should be Touch-screen displayed.... Type A: The Normal 'Warning against 'Distraction' and an 'I Agree' red touch bar', then in this case reprogramming is already completed....Mazda 'wing' logo, etc. Then Continue with step 30.
Or... Type B: The ACC Power Supply went OFF during re-programming.
Below is displayed on screen until reprogramming is completed.
After completion of the re-programming continues with the next steps.
Provided CMU has not been fatally damaged. Continue with step 29. "INSTALL NOT SUCCESSFUL: SYSTEM FAILURE"
MAKE SURE THAT THE USB WITH UPDATE PACKAGE IS INSERTED.
THE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY RETRY THE UPDATE.
29. Check that the indicator light in the start / stop button is lit (Amber/Orange) and the Instrument cluster Display is still off.
If the ignition is off (OFF) and the indicator light in the start / stop button IS NOT lit (Amber/Orange is off),
set the ignition to ACC (Amber/Orange) again....DO NOT START CAR or turn Ignition onto Green light.
(Keep foot off Brake or Clutch pedal until ACC is set to Amber/Orange) ::: If the reprogramming is not completed :::
When the screen turns white or black or freezes after the task-bar is displayed the completion screen is displayed, perform the following steps after 60 minutes (approx).
a. Switch off the ignition. (Do not start the engine.)
b. Wait for the screen to turn black.
c. Remove the USB memory stick.
d. Remove the fuse "ROOM" (and ''AUDIO'' if equipped) Fuses and wait 2 minutes.
e. Reinstall the fuse "ROOM" (and ''AUDIO'' if equipped) Fuses.
f. Set the ignition to ACC (Amber/Orange), DO NOT Start Engine or Green Light (Engine Ignition On).
g. Check that "INSTALL NOT SUCCESSFUL: SYSTEM FAILURE" Warning appears on screen.
h. Connect USB memory stick to the USB port.
i. Check that the task bar appears.
j. SYSTEM will or should Automatically Re-TRY Update files.
If successful the ''Warning'' against 'Distraction' and the 'I Agree' touch bar, then reprogramming is completed....Mazda 'wing' logo, etc. Continue with step 30.
30. Turn off the ignition and remove the USB memory stick from the USB port.
31. To stabilize the system switch off the ignition, remove ALL keys from the the vehicle, windows up, lock all doors and move away from car for 5 minutes.
32. PC update Navi SD Card via latest MAZDA TOOLBOX ''Before'' SD Card is Re-inserted.
33. Reopen the vehicle.
34. Insert Updated Navi SD Card.
35. Press the engine start / stop button once without the clutch pedal (Manual transmission) or the brake pedal (automatic transmission) to operate the ignition on ACC...DO NOT START ENGINE.
36. After the Connect system has started, wait 2-3 minutes without any input so that the Configuration is completed. (The ignition can be switched on and that Vehicle can now be driven.)
37. Check the screen install software version to make sure it's the same version as the one on the USB memory stick. The navigation screen..
Call up and check that the current vehicle position is screen displayed correctly.
If the Vehicle position is incorrect, check the GPS reception and take the vehicle a short Drive at least 15 km. Note: Before attempting to pair a phone with the system, DELETE 'MAZDA' from the list of Bluetooth devices on the actual phone to be paired with the system.
Because if this is not done, the phone CAN NOT be paired with the Connect system as the phone does not auto overwrite or remove the old Bluetooth link inside phone.
38. Disconnect any battery charger from the vehicle (if used).
39. Set the language back to the desired national language.
40. Reset the noted stations (AM / FM).
41. Turn off Car.