• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Xenon Hid Kits

Danasa

hi all

i have been checking some infronation of Xenon HID light kits in sri lanka and is their different between plastic head lights and glass cover head lights to fit Xenon kits

as i checked on line there are few threds talk about UV protected.

can any one give any info abote this

cheeers

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Danasa, I heard from my friend, dont fix fake Xenon kits for plastic head light covers. It will damage soon. So when you fix that buy original Kit. Originals bit expensive. But quality is good. :)

Still I haven't fix or dont have any experience on this.

Edited by Prami

these HID kits wont have issues with the lens material being plastic on crystal..

of course the crystal looks far cooler and also much clearer, other than that...there wont be any issue at all...

unlike traditional incandescent bulbs, HID doesn't put out a lot of heat so there's no risk of ruining your plastic lenses...

also HID's take less power when compare with similar wattage bulbs of say the usual halogens....

UV protection to any plasticky thing is good cos UV will over time damage most plastics... other than that it has little to do with having HID lights in your car...

and btw...none of these SL kits are "originals"... originals will come with proper projector housing that will harness the max value of HID's..

that would be quite a pricey conversion since you need to get the proper housing also...

and for the record...

these bloody HID's kits are major pain in the tail light since the traditional lighting housings don't really work with HID "bulbs"...they just scatter light all over the place making it tough for oncoming traffic...

as usual in SL even the smallest cars doing less than 60kmh is using these HID kits... just for the kick of having extra lighting power at the expense of others

just my cheap 2c :P

What is the difference between these kits and standalone HID bulbs?

standalone HID bulbs can't operate with normal car electrical system...

the HID bulbs don't have a filament and light is generated by arching current between two terminals...so there's lotsa voltage involved in it and you need a special electronics package to fire it...

so the "KIT" includes the bulbs and the little electronic gadget with is basically a ballast to hold higher voltage and circuitry to genarate the same

the HID bulbs don't have a filament and light is generated by arching current between two terminals...so there's lotsa voltage involved in it and you need a special electronics package to fire it...

so the "KIT" includes the bulbs and the little electronic gadget with is basically a ballast to hold higher voltage and circuitry to genarate the same

thanks for the update Ripper. :)

Follow this video:

Edited by Prami

Ripper, you have any idea on good HID Kit prices ? and places ?

What is the difference between these kits and standalone HID bulbs?

As ripper said HID could not be standalone bulbs since they require separate system to operate the Xenon bulb. However I have seen most of ppl selling some bulbs saying its same as HID. Be aware when trying to find "standalone bulbs" giving more light since most of them are completely different from HID concept and consume more power than a normal bulb causing damages to plastic head lights, reflectors and the electrical system.

Before looking for HID, just find some info about color temperature and how it affects when driving. HID are having higher color temperatures and when it reaching more and more high, it becomes useless.

As ripper said HID could not be standalone bulbs since they require separate system to operate the Xenon bulb. However I have seen most of ppl selling some bulbs saying its same as HID. Be aware when trying to find "standalone bulbs" giving more light since most of them are completely different from HID concept and consume more power than a normal bulb causing damages to plastic head lights, reflectors and the electrical system.

Before looking for HID, just find some info about color temperature and how it affects when driving. HID are having higher color temperatures and when it reaching more and more high, it becomes useless.

Most of these corner shop spare part joints sells blue coated cheap bulbs as Xenons. these are no better than original halogens (Genuine Osrams, Philips, Koito stuff). installed Osram sylvanias and so far it's better upgrade than standard bulbs.

Most of these corner shop spare part joints sells blue coated cheap bulbs as Xenons. these are no better than original halogens (Genuine Osrams, Philips, Koito stuff). installed Osram sylvanias and so far it's better upgrade than standard bulbs.

Ruslan, Any idea on the prices of "Osram Super White" pair of bulbs and where is the place to buy that ?

These are the ones am talking about. Stuff from brands like Osram, Philips and such, they also have so called Xenon filled bulbs, which are said to be brighter than normal halogens, but not as much as HID kits. So are these worth going for? Could find lower volt rating bulbs, but would these burn plastic lenses?

Edited by shanX

These are the ones am talking about. Stuff from brands like Osram, Philips and such, they also have so called Xenon filled bulbs, which are said to be brighter than normal halogens, but not as much as HID kits. So are these worth going for? Could find lower volt rating bulbs, but would these burn plastic lenses?

Shayan, I think No machan. Originals cant be burn plastic lenses. But fake products may be.. I'm also looking a super white good pair of Osram/Philips branded bulbs (these are brighter than normal bulbs).

Ruslan, Any idea on the prices of "Osram Super White" pair of bulbs and where is the place to buy that ?

got it down from Australia through a friend of mine. sorry it should be Osram "Silverstars". i think D*MO might have them. since they are the dealers for Osram.

Shayan, I think No machan. Originals cant be burn plastic lenses. But fake products may be.. I'm also looking a super white good pair of Osram/Philips branded bulbs (these are brighter than normal bulbs).

Any idea about prices?

I have some projector headlights, which got crappy lighting, have to get 2 H3 bulbs and 2 H1 bulbs, I think :rolleyes:

CooL. You better to call and check about the H3 & H1 bulbs. Your vehicle model is Mazda Familia BJ5P or BHALP ? Where did you buy the projector headlights machan ?

CooL. You better to call and check about the H3 & H1 bulbs. Your vehicle model is Mazda Familia BJ5P or BHALP ? Where did you buy the projector headlights machan ?

Nope bro, a civic, got down from abroad ;)

guys i am brining down a plug and play H4 bixenon kit... will see how it goes.. basically the higher th Kelvin that is the temparature the lesser the penetration of the light it seems...since our standard cars have both low and high i needed to get a bixenon kt rather than a normal one.. think its cheaper than getting it fixed here..

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a generic plug'n'play H4 Bi-Xenon kit into my '94 Townace yesterday. The lamps had to be adjusted slightly lower, and on the test run no one flashed their high beams at me while I drove down the busy highlevel road, so I'm taking that as a positive sign. On roads where I usually use the high beam, the low beam's illumination was more than sufficient; the horizontal coverage lit up pedestrians and bikes on the left of the road quite brightly, and the forward reach is great. The only reason to use high beams would be to flash another driver or to get a good look at the people inside the car coming at you. The bulbs are 4300K, which are the brightest you can get, short of going for the Euro style 3000Ks. Our 121 came fitted with 6000Ks (after market kit installed in Japan), and I thought they were the bomb, but 4300Ks are just so much easier on the eyes. The ballasts and igniters (two per side) were mounted inside the van, next to the rubber stopper through which the existing forward lamp harness exit, and the new wires were routed through an extra opening made in this stopper. The control box with the relay was mounted on the floor behind the steering column, which allows easy reach for a good grounding point, and a power source from the dashboard. The kit utilizes one connection from the existing harness to detect high/low signal, but power is supplied independent of the stock wiring harness. It's a fairly straight forward installation, but tedious; the side indicators and grill come off first, followed by the lamp mounting brackets on either side, on which are mounted a headlamp and park lamp. This was because I had to scout for a suitable mount point for the ballast, and it's so much easier to navigate a drill machine from the outside. I used the supplied mounting plate as a brace from the outside which will keep things nice and snug. The igniters were mounted using industrial strength 3M double sided tape. Bulb installation is straight forward too, and the bulbs themselves can be twisted off the H4 flange, which makes replacing bulbs a breeze since you don't have to deal with those finicky dust covers. I won an auction for the kit on ebay, and paid $62 + free S&H. It got held up at the EMS office, and I paid LKR1300 to clear it. All in all, the built quality of the kit is pretty good, the ballasts are the smaller slim solid state dealies, which look and weigh like solid chunks of aluminium.

One word of advice though, don't go for anything over 6000K. The reason is that, while the intensity of the colour is still high (the bluest blue possible, etc), they're not bright, and you'll have trouble focussing on objects on the road. 8000K is the absolute maximum you should consider, and that only for driving in illuminated areas on the city where you're not completely dependant on your vehicular lights. Anything higher is absurdly obtuse to derive any usable function out of, and are suited for show only (which constitutes 95% of the HID users in Colombo "omg machn thos r SO KOOOLLLL!!111 hw mch???").

Hope the details were useful.

Edited by terrabytetango