• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Whats the best octane type for civic 1.0L?
  3. Whats the best octane type for the civic sedan 1.0L?
  4. abiman

Side Mirror Theft Toyota Premio,Ward Place

https://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/508d/invisibeam-field-disturbance-sensor This might work with compatible security system.
  5. Today
  6. Yesterday
  7. Thank you Madnessss & The Don for your useful opinions Sent from my SM-A505F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk
  8. iRage

Some Concerns?

A GP5 is a GP5 because it is Hybrid ! There are no Non-Hybrid GP5s . If you come across a GP5 (where the Vehicle ID plate/chassis # says GP5 and it has a petrol engine...walk away. I only say this because our Sri Lankans could very well yank out the Hybrid system and do some weird stuff to make the car run on petrol (seen a few 2nd and 1st Gen Prius with gasoline conversions. GK3 = 1.3 Gasoline FF GK4 = 1.3 Gasoline AWD GK5 = 1.5 Gasoline FF GK6 -= 1.5 Gasolike AWD
  9. You are hardly going to find any average (gasoline) export model cars that come directly from Japan. Almost all the common models like the Corolla, Yaris, etc...are going to come from Thailand. Only the high-end vehicles would be coming from Japan (Land Cruisers, Crowns, Priuses, etc...), even the Camry came from Japan for a little while until the Thai, Vietnamese, etc...plants got re-tooled. As for the ECU programmings...yes...it could be different..depends on the car. Even though the car might be the same it would be configured to meet regulatory requirements of the country/region it is being sold in. As a result, the ECU might be programmed slightly differently.
  10. Hi Don, Thanks for the useful information. Do you think any differences of ECU programming of an engine for a JDM and same engine mated to export directly to SL from Japan?
  11. matroska

Recommendations for a vehicle for permit

True. It's violent and sudden and at most times excessive.
  12. priyanka

CHR G-T vs. S-T

Yes... I also have noticed the price difference
  13. matroska

Some Concerns?

A non-hybrid GP5 is not a GP5. It'd be a GK<something> based on engine size . Gk3 for the 1.3 I assume -someone like irage can verify that. Consider if it's wise to use a permit (you'd still pay around 2.3 M for the permit) take a look at this http://www.autolanka.com/articles/30-Budget-2018-Vehicle-TAX-Change.html.html and calculate the tax you will pay and see how much you will benefit. (consider the recent amendment to tax recently so the tax is slightly increased than this) well look who's back after a while ....indeed the Swift RS is a nice car but nowadays a good one is rare as hens teeth. A friend tried to import an RS ( i admit he was looking for low mileage) and gave up eventually. Look OP - the GP5 isn't a bad car it's just that there's a bit of a gamble with all the various things that could go wrong with it. A friend of mine upgraded from an IST and (against my reasoning )he overpaid and got a GP5 but he is grinning ear-to-ear on how fun it is to drive and says it was 4.2 M well spent. it's a bit sad to see Mazda's also going down the buyya path.... earlier it was only Toyotas and Nissans that were abused and used as currency. Next it's the Honda's and now sad to see Mazdas also falling into the wrong hands.
  14. @iRage I think another reason some of the options are not available even for selection is the origin of manufacture. As some models imported new to SL now come from Indonesia/Thailand whatever developed for those markets is essentially what we get as well. On the options I can see the benefit of adaptive cruise control and cruise control on motorways. I'm yet to use a car with adaptive cruise control but I use cruise control quite a lot, even in SL. The adaptive will deal with the issue of encountering traffic on the way. I'm not a big fan of emergency brake, because sometimes the best cause of action to avoid an action is not to brake or brake lightly. Also the system completely ignores the situation behind you which you are taught when learning to consider (at least in the UK) before slamming on the brakes unless an extreme emergency. Finally as you point out a massive pain for the car to keep breaking when it thinks when three wheelers, motorcyclists etc are filtering quite close to you not to mention pedestrians. On the issue of the permit, I think the OP should consider the following. #1 Buy new if at all cost effective but try to stick to models which are not too different from the JDM. That will ensure a good supply of spares and body parts and keep long term ownership costs down. The CRV is a good option in this sense. #2 Consider the agent. I've dealt with Toyota Lanka and Stafford and both seem to be decent. Note Stafford does slap an agent commission on top the purchase price and there is a long wait, and personally on Honda's I do not consider warranties that important (to be honest this will hold true on most Japanese vehicles, except hybrids where the battery warranties can prove useful). Warranties are essential if buying a European vehicle. So on japs carefully consider third party importers as well. #3 Make optimum use of the permit. Buy something of which the duty figure is close to the permit exemption. #4 If possible avoid made for the Asian market vehicles. It's not because these vehicles are bad, it's just we do not yet have as big a supply of spares from these markets, plus they are a bit like us so don't really throw away vehicles, so have to rely on the agents for new. This is somewhat true of Korean vehicles as well though things have improved a little. The other reason is some of these made for asia models are made for a lower budget, so won't have the same interior build quality of their international cousins. Often mechanical s are derived from other models so rarely an issue.
  15. The Don

Side Mirror Theft Toyota Premio,Ward Place

Kanishka, you are facing the sad reality of parking in public places in Colombo. There are thieves everywhere. All the suggestions above are good. They are: 1. Fitting a security system which activates on motion detection and 2 way alerts (you will get an alert on your remote when something happens) 2. Covering the car with a car cover after parking 3. Parking close to a home or office with CCTV 4. You can try to cables etc, but while as they will make it difficult to get the mirror off the car, they would probably damage it trying and that would mean replacement anyway. But anything that makes yours less easy to steal would hopefully encourage the thieves to go elsewhere 5. Use a dash cam with motion detection which will record anything that happens around the car even when parked. The slight problem here is when parked near a busy road you will run out of space quickly And finally consider public transport options / taxis when working in offices which do not provide secure parking for their staff.
  16. The Don

Toyota Tyre Repair Kit

The repair liquids are all the same and pumps from different brands are very similar as well. The only difference I have noted is in how the pump connects to the repair liquid bottle. The replacement repair kit bottles have come down quite a lot from what they were. You can buy a generic one and keep and they work the same. The tyre place will just scrape the foam off and repair the puncture properly afterwards, though it is a bit of a mess. Good to keep a spare if there is space but most cars with repair kits no longer has a spare wheel bay to keep them.
  17. Magnum

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

The boxy style Mercs looked properly good!
  18. Klord

Some Concerns?

Please, Can someone shed some light to GP5 non hybrid version? I couldn’t find much information related to it in the forum. Saw a few cars advertised in online sites though. I think I will be able to grab a good reconditioned specimen (within my budget limit) from Japan as they are comparatively cheaper than hybrids. Government Tariffs are not much of a concern as I know a person who is willing to sell his permit. 🙂 1. What is the approximate fuel consumption of non hybrid GP5? 2. Any specific problem associated with car or the 1.3 conventional engine? (I assume most of the other mechanics are same as the hybrid version, though car should be lighter) Thank you...
  19. Klord

Some Concerns?

Thank you very much @Hyaenidae, @virajn, @Quiet, @Davy, @iRage & @Jason Bourne for your inputs regarding my queries. So basically, "agent maintained" tag is not a viable source to measure the quality of car. I suppose at least we can confirm the authenticity of the mileage if its agent maintained. Correct me if I am wrong. @GK_007, it feels sad when a carefully treated car get ill treated. My fiancee think I am crazy to worry this much about mileage, history, look etc of a car when planning to buy one. Today morning I told her, that we (men) are more vigilant and considerate when selecting a car to buy than selecting a woman to marry. I have not received any text from her since then. 😁 Reasons are not something related the quality of Vitz and Swift. They are great cars on their own leagues. I am 6’ 2” with a large body frame 🙂. I don’t like the feeling of being cramped up inside a car. As GP5 is quite spacious compared to both aforementioned cars, I decided it’s my go to choice.
  20. iRage

New toyota yaris ATIV

If you want something fun...look at something like the Vitz/Aqua GR Sport or Vitz GR Sport GR....a certain doc who imports cars and does conversions sold one and at the time it was somewhere around your budget...but might be pricier now...but check...
  21. iRage

Some Concerns?

Can we (I) know the reasons you took off the Swift and Vitz as possible candidates ?
  22. kush

New toyota yaris ATIV

CHR, Corolla Sport, JDM Axio WXB, Honda Grace/FIT/Vezel hybrid /JDM Nissan Qashqai, Mazda 3 brand new (if can stretch to Rs. 5.5)
  23. The Don

Some Concerns?

If you are new to cars, I think its best to stay away from the GP5/ Vezel just for the moment. They are not bad cars, but dual clutch transmissions need to be driven in a particular way to reduce wear and tear on the gearbox and both have had various software issues that have mostly been fixed via recalls. The dual clutch units are bit on the expensive side for replacement though as a technology they are superior to fluid torque converter traditional automatic transmissions. Both the Swift RS with the 1.0 turbo and the Vitz 1.0 are excellent cars. Out of these I would pick the Swift for better interior, more power and more add on's on the top end versions (the so called safety). The Vitz feels a little less premium compared and we are considering buying one for ourselves (having done a bit of research at this price point). The GP3 is also a pretty good car. My wife owns one and it has been trouble free apart from regular maintenance and a new 12V battery. Do note the Hybrid batteries will need replacement soon as these are all now beyond the 5 year mark. They aren't as expensive as the Toyota ones because they don't have as much capacity and the system isn't as reliant on them as the Toyota Aquas/Prisus/Axios are. Just my 2 cents.
  24. Jason Bourne

Some Concerns?

That workaround doesn't work. Locking the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear doesn't stop the DCT from slipping when crawling forward - the only viable workaround is avoiding crawling as much as possible, specially when going uphill / when the car is loaded
  25. KB Herath

New toyota yaris ATIV

Thanks for everyone opinions. So what are the cars go for government tax concessionary permit. My budget is around 5m. Doesn't matter if it is JDM. The car should be a reliable one.
  26. KB Herath

New toyota yaris ATIV

Thank you very much for your valuable description.
  27. KB Herath

New toyota yaris ATIV

28. KB Herath

New toyota yaris ATIV

Thank you..
  1. Load more activity