• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Driving Roads In Sl

racerx

I think this was discussed before. But does anyone know any good driving roads around colombo. Im sure this is an impossible quest but thought i must ask.

No traffic.

No bus route

Paved smooth road

Lot of twists and hair pin turns.

low populated area.

Thanks

There are some really good roads on the way to anuradhapura, via Puttalam, however there alot of unfinished stretches. In fact the road to Puttalam is pretty good from Negombo...

I believe the gentleman's asking for a road near colombo...but yeah,I recommend the puttlam road too.but for twists and turns nothing beats hatton to kithulgala(coming downhill)

well I dont actually know any such road in colombo...but if you can take the trouble to come near the sapugaskanda oil refinary in kelaniya,there's a stretch of about 3-4 miles of well laid out tarmac just past the army checkpoint...there are a couple of fast corners,dips,hills and a very long stretch,infact some parts of it reminds me of the hungarian F1 GP track...i've been there over the past weekends as i'm in the process of "seasoning" an engine after a long hibernation,and havent seen any traffic cops yet.

I believe the gentleman's asking for a road near colombo...but yeah,I recommend the puttlam road too.but for twists and turns nothing beats hatton to kithulgala(coming downhill)

Nuwara Eliya to Gampola via Ramboda pass :) part of the A5. Check 7.042376, 80.702305 on Google maps

Also Ratnapura to Bandarawela (A4) (well, most of it), Pelmadulla to ... well I know upto the Uda Walawe turn off. (A18)

But all those roads have buses and pass thru towns.

There is also a stretch from Malabe Junc to Homagama town, but thats got towns too. And an army base. CBK. Millennium Drive. The surface has deteriorated slightly, but still very good. Kosswatta Junc to the roundabout near Speeddrome. But not much in the way of twists or hairpins.

You need to head for the hills to find hairpins anyway. There used to be this bit leading up to Randenigala. Even Earl's Regency to Theldeniya used to be good, but that was 20 years ago :)

Face it, if its tarred and has a good surface, it'll lead somewhere populated. Unless its in Hambanthota.

well I dont actually know any such road in colombo...but if you can take the trouble to come near the sapugaskanda oil refinary in kelaniya,there's a stretch of about 3-4 miles of well laid out tarmac just past the army checkpoint...there are a couple of fast corners,dips,hills and a very long stretch,infact some parts of it reminds me of the hungarian F1 GP track...i've been there over the past weekends as i'm in the process of "seasoning" an engine after a long hibernation,and havent seen any traffic cops yet.

this used to be a place where i too went for the occasional exhaust cleaning :P

the only worry is that if you're doing very high speeds...sometimes heavy vehicles and others just get onto the main road without really checking.

since there's little traffic on that rd especially on weekends most people take it far too easy...

A friend of mine crashed his Pulsar on one such lorry and passed away after fighting for his life over a week in the ICU...

So anything over 80...especially over 120 or so....you gotta be really careful

This has been discussed before but is always fun. Plus, we might learn of new roads that have been added. :)

Agreed, although uphill is just as crazy. But the wildest (and one of the smoothest because its new) stretches is the Ginigathena-Nawalapitiya stretch. It's 12 kms long and is amazing.

This is way, way out....

....but the road from Batti to Pollunaruwa (stunning straights for really letting it out), and from Buttala to Arugam Bay (superb incline/declines with some hairpins, chicanes).

Both are B/C roads recently relaid, with little traffic, cops or general idiots.

If anyone plans to do an East Coast run, recommend trying these routes in some combination. The only incomplete stretches are between Batti and Abay.

I've also heard that the Trinco run is now even better...

This is way, way out....

....but the road from Batti to Pollunaruwa (stunning straights for really letting it out), and from Buttala to Arugam Bay (superb incline/declines with some hairpins, chicanes).

Both are B/C roads recently relaid, with little traffic, cops or general idiots.

If anyone plans to do an East Coast run, recommend trying these routes in some combination. The only incomplete stretches are between Batti and Abay.

I've also heard that the Trinco run is now even better...

i recall a nice stretch when heading from Kantale into Habarana :unsure:

Thought this was about, roads around Cmb, so din't reply :D

Agreed, although uphill is just as crazy. But the wildest (and one of the smoothest because its new) stretches is the Ginigathena-Nawalapitiya stretch. It's 12 kms long and is amazing.

Even the road from Gampola to Nawalapitiya is an interesting one, a lot of turns and all, but smooth road.

And yeah i guess, now east coast has all the good roads, last week i went Trinco from Anuradhapura via Horawpathana, not a common road, this road is being rebuilt. After that, we went from Trinco to Pulmude to Kebithigollawa to Medwachchiya, this is a newly built road, was perfect for speeding, cruising whatever you want with endless stretches, no cops or much vehicles or even people, around kebithigollowa there were few patches which were at finishing stages.

And I guess the road from Trinco to Batticloa is also fully built now (we only went upto Kanniya or somewhere), am sure this would be a nice road as it might be laid out along the coastal line. And maybe, if the Jaffna road is done properly, that would be one awesome road :D