• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Driving License

CK2000

Question

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting to the site and would like to get some information about how to obtain a driving license in sri lanka. I am in Dubai and visit sri lanka aroound two times per year (for two weeks). I really need to get a sri lankan driving license but don't know if this is possible. I already have a driving license in dubai but not sure I can obtain sri lankan one by showing it. Is there any guidence you guys can give me? I do appreciate your comments...

16 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting to the site and would like to get some information about how to obtain a driving license in sri lanka. I am in Dubai and visit sri lanka aroound two times per year (for two weeks). I really need to get a sri lankan driving license but don't know if this is possible. I already have a driving license in dubai but not sure I can obtain sri lankan one by showing it. Is there any guidence you guys can give me? I do appreciate your comments...

Are you a Sri Lankan? If youa re then you can get it the normal way. If not, you will have to use a International Driving license. Your Dubai license will not be valid in Sri Lanka.

My wife faced a similar situation where she had German driving license and wanted to apply for SL driving license.

All she had to do was submit her german license together with Sri Lankan identity card. No written test, No practical test!.

SL driving license was issued within 2 weeks.(under normal processing).

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Yes I am a Sri Lankan but the problem I am having is the time. I think you need a lot of time to do the test etc..as they don't recognise the international driving license issued from Dubai. Does anyone knows normally how long it will take for the whole process? Do you think I will be able to do it within two weeks time.

Also, someone told me that I cannot obtain a sri lankan driving license by submitting Dubai one but not sure whether that is true or not.

Thanks

Edited by CK2000

Yes I am a Sri Lankan but the problem I am having is the time. I think you need a lot of time to do the test etc..as they don't recognise the international driving license issued from Dubai. Does anyone knows normally how long it will take for the whole process? Do you think I will be able to do it within two weeks time.

Also, someone told me that I cannot obtain a sri lankan driving license by submitting Dubai one but not sure whether that is true or not.

Thanks

http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/index.php

here machang... read through and see.

i just converted my US driving license to SL driving license using the one day service.

All i needed was

1/ My US license which had to be current ( cannot be expired)

2/my passport with the valid US visa

3/original birth certicifate

4/SL ID card

5/medical certificate: there are 2 versions for this. i used the old one and had no problem. the new one looks more professional and you need a photograph too.

my advise is take copies of each when you go. Get in line by 5:30 in the morning. they only give out 200 numbers for day service. it costs Rs.2500.(they say 2200 but inside they charge for international conversion fee of 300). you can get the card by 2pm the same day.

outside is a little messy but inside everything is pretty straight forward. standing in line is not fun. they take 50 people at once.

good luck!!

Are you a Sri Lankan? If youa re then you can get it the normal way. If not, you will have to use a International Driving license. Your Dubai license will not be valid in Sri Lanka.

i think any visiting person is allowed 30 days if they can produce there countries valid driving license. im not 100% sure about it can any one confirm

you should be able to obtain SL driving license over the counter as aminda explained above if you hold a driving license from US, Canada, UK, Australia or a number of euoropian countries - maybe singapore, HK and japan are also inlcluded. There should be a list somewhere, why don't you talk to the motor examiner in your local GA office to find out?

Dubai license if not recognized for this purpose as far as I am aware. However, the international driving permit issued by Dubai should be valid for driving in SL.

Thanks guys..yes I have ask one of my friend to contact the motor trafic department because I tried but they kept me on hold for 15 minitues so I had to disconnect as it is waste of money for holding for so long (I called from Dubai) but no answer. I tried to find out the list of countries that recognise by sri lanka but could not find. Anyway, will keep you all updated in case if I get a positive response.

Thanks

I'm in the same situ. Just got the application forms, need to get an SL licence based on my aussie one. What's the situ with the Dr's, can you use any GP or are there "official" RMV ones?

had a look at my int'l driving permit, SL is clearly in the list of countries so it should be valid in SL

did any SL cop give you grief saying anything contrary?

perhaps it has something to do with you being a SL citizen, you need a local driving license to drive in SL??

Actually last time when I was in Sri Lanka, two cops stoped me and told me that I cannot use the international driving license as I am a citizen of sri lanka. They told me that I need to have sri lankan driving license but I gave some garbage talk and managed to escape. From that time I was under impression that what they told me is correct but now I realised it is not the case..I guess I you guys always says..it is land like no others.

Edited by CK2000

Actually last time when I was in Sri Lanka, two cops stoped me and told me that I cannot use the international driving license as I am a citizen of sri lanka. They told me that I need to have sri lankan driving license but I gave some garbage talk and managed to escape. From that time I was under impression that what they told me is correct but now I realised it is not the case..I guess I you guys always says..it is land like no others.

Hi,

Please call the government information center ( 1919 ) they will direct you correctly. Their service is good.

The laws governing the issue of the SL driving licence in Sri lanka have now changed if you would like help getting the new licence issued then please contact me and I will explain all the new issues. residents and none residents.

No need for any secret service, how about you just do your fellow countrymen a favour and explain it all here?

• Like 1