• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Honda Civic 2002 Exi Fuel-Indicator Air-Bag And Engine Issue

ransam

While I was driving today morning, the audio system started on/off continuously and after sometime the Air-Bag indicator came on. Suddenly fuel indicator also went to zero with low indicator coming on which was at the quarter mark just few minutes ago. I was driving to find a fuel station and suddenly both indicators went off and fuel indicator came back to normal position. After about 4km drive I stopped in front of pedestrian crossing and then suddenly engine went off. I started again and was able to come to my destination (another 4 km) without any issue after that.

Anyone has a idea about this issue? Is this the starting of something serious?

While I was driving today morning, the audio system started on/off continuously and after sometime the Air-Bag indicator came on. Suddenly fuel indicator also went to zero with low indicator coming on which was at the quarter mark just few minutes ago. I was driving to find a fuel station and suddenly both indicators went off and fuel indicator came back to normal position. After about 4km drive I stopped in front of pedestrian crossing and then suddenly engine went off. I started again and was able to come to my destination (another 4 km) without any issue after that.

did you took the car out after long time?

did you wash the engine bay 2,3 day before?

did you took the car out after long time?

did you wash the engine bay 2,3 day before?

I have been using the car contentiously.

I did not wash the engine bay recently.

On Saturday I was driving along Express-way in heavy rain around 100-110 kmph from Galle to Kottawa

Judging from the information you gave i would say there could be a couple of possibilities,

The the simplest would a simple loose connection in the battery terminals, check the battery terminals and see if it has any loose connections. If that's the case just tighten the screw a bit or replace the battery terminals

The second thing that come to my mind is a faulty alternator, a weak alternator which doesn't produce enough voltage usually leads to flickering and stalls. You can test this yourself if you have a voltmeter. Connect the voltmeter to the battery terminals and see the voltage of the battery when the engine is off (it should be around 12-13 volts) then start the car and see what the voltage is (Should be around 13-14 Volts). If there is no rise in the voltage when you start the car or if you notice any sudden voltage changes and drops it quite possibly is a faulty alternator. If the alternator is at fault im afraid it will be a bit of a costly repair.

The third thing that come to my mind is a faulty voltage regulator (a part that's coupled with the alternator), some times too much voltage can also mess with the electrical system of a car. This too can be identified by you if you have a volt meter, like before connect the voltmeter wires to the terminals, then start the car and see the voltage when the car is at idle ( should be around 13 Volts) then slowly increase the rpm of the car gradually (race the car gradually). You should notice that the voltage will increase from the idle level up to a certain level and stop at a certain level, I.E after that point no matter how hard you race the engine (increase the rpm) the voltage should reach a maximum peak level and would not go above that(14.1Volts as an example). If this happens and the voltage doesn't increase after a certain level your regulatory is fine, if the voltage just keeps on increasing without stopping the fault is definitely with your voltage regulator. This part wont cost much, roughly around 3000-4000 Rs.

The fourth and the least unlikely would be some external electronic equipment you fixed later, have you fixed any sort of third part lights, sound system or any other equipment to your car recently ?

You mentioned about an audio system, does it have a Sub-woofer ?

If you have a sub have you fixed a capacitor for the sub, if so are you sure its functioning properly ?

Yo can always take it to a trusted automobile electrician and see, i just said thing that might help you identify the problem first :)