• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Complete Noah Build

JadeyBlitzen

As promised here's a summary of the Noah conversion I completed in February 2011

Basically I took a 1997 Liteace Super CR51V and turned it into a 1998 Liteace Noah V CR50G

Our family had this vehicle since 2001 and it was my faithful old daily runner when it went under the knife.

This is more or less what it looked like before the conversion.

403021_10150537352661259_1349430248_n.jp

388895_10150537352181259_45031469_n.jpg?

The noah conversion craze was around even at that time but most people's idea of a complete noah was limited to the front "crystal lights", noah tailgate, complete upholstery and some alloys. at that time those bits were relatively expensive considering the vehicle was bought for 1.125 mil unregistered and the tailgate and lights alone would cost over 100k. anyway I researched over the years and decided to add all the parts from the version with the highest options of that vintage. So I tracked down a complete kit for just 250k without the drivetrain bits (big mistake!). and its only after I saw the list of parts they provided that it occured to me how much a noah is different to an ordinary cr/kr 41/42 or 51/52. and how difficult it would be to find these parts individually using an epc. heck some didnt even have part numbers on them. It had 48 different parts categories and nearly all of them were different to the parts we get in our vans.

so with the help of dozens of pictures, press benders, lots of belgian steel and a little ingenuity here and there we completed the job within 3 months.

Some of the significant changes

Engine: 2C-III 2.0L N/A diesel > 3C-T 2.2 Turbo diesel
Gearbox: G52 5 speed > G53 5 speed (has more linear ratios)
Suspension front/rear: stock/noah springs and bump stops
axles and differentials front/rear: 4.778:1/4.778:1 > 4.1:1/4.1:1 without the square bump stop contacts
Exterior: All the standard noah bits, sunroofs, window frames painted in black using pics from an original noah, painted the mudflaps in white to match white package specs (although in the original white package the mudflaps are made of white plastic, and there's a coachline on both sides of the body), Noah 4wd wheels, original stickers, white door rail (not painted) to go with the rest of the body, The sliding door has a self closing mechanism, reflective rear windows (this was an option on noahs) the entire body was finished in 056 white (stock white paint is 058 for the van version, which is more yellowy)
Interior: All the bits from a top of the range 1998 Noah V (same as Royal Lounge) so it also has its back windows tinted in brown. The only options I'm missing are tweeters and power curtains.

and this is what it looks like now

379384_10150537336611259_1793591913_n.jp

402083_10150537336866259_145162655_n.jpg

393719_10150537343441259_1254795811_n.jp

403674_10150537342681259_2141296053_n.jp

405170_10150537341036259_356830591_n.jpg

379054_10150537342891259_576028831_n.jpg

389998_10150537345586259_1326295187_n.jp

The trickiest parts were,

1. adding the 2 sunroofs, which would have been much easier if you had a cut of the complete roof (mine came as 2 blowtorch cut squares)

2. sealing the rear right hand side door and lowering the step to accomodate the rear a/c, this is the trickiest part of any noah conversion. cos either the van came with 5 doors or 4 doors with no cavity for the a/c. some people try fabricating boxes and welding them to the floor on 4 doors. but lowering the side step brings out the best results but that does mean you have to seal the door in a neat manner. some don't bother with this at all. that's why there are so many noahs today with a 5th door that cannot be opened. my suggestion is if you are really serious about getting the factory presses and welds right go for a "sidecut" of a noah complte with the side step. those go for about 250k a piece

3. tracking down all the drivetrain bits needed. (Engine, Gearbox, axles with the right gear ratios, this being a 4wd it needed 2 and all the various suspension components). Like I said buying a kit without the drivetrain is a big mistake unless you really know your noahs. so try to buy the complete kit with drivetrain bits. they cost between 650k to 800k.

Edited by JadeyBlitzen
  • Like 4

These are some of the pics I took during the conversion

This was taken while we were adding the sunroofs individually. note the completed door shutting job

381639_10150537351386259_2109968310_n.jp

This is while we were welding the seat mounts on to the floor. note the green welded bits on the floor. without those the 3rd row seats don't fit properly nor function properly.

388292_10150537347171259_2002745451_n.jp

Here's a picture of the completed door shutting operation. I even added the filler flap from a four door cos they are slightly different around the edges.

402322_10150537348091259_485902538_n.jpg

These are the pipes that connect the rear a/c to the engine. it came with the kit and the vehicle even had the retainers in some places despite this being a cargo version.

401383_10150537350766259_410331583_n.jpg

here's the much demanded shot of the rear bump stops. notice how the axle doesn't have square contact section to receive it.

I'll add pictures of individual extras this vehicle has over other noahs and cr/kr/4*/5*s There are over 70 that you don't get in a basic cr41 so this will take a while.

Edited by JadeyBlitzen
  • Like 2

Thanks guys!

Great job!

Just for my information, how much more would you have had to doll out if you decided to sell the standard and purchase an original noah of the given vintage?

Its very difficult to price an original cos they are rare. so they fetch whatever the price the owners name.

The cheapest I've seen is a SR40 (2.0l petrol 2wd) Townace Noah Super Extra with twin sunroofs and Power curtains with blue/grey interior with a grey paintjob, KB reg I think for 3 mil at a car sale. they were happy to part with it for 2.9 mil

Then I found one imported from New Zealand in 2008 with a PB registration. again a petrol SR40 with 2wd but this was Townace Noah Royal Lounge in Brown. So same interior and options as mine. but it had power curtains. The current owner has got it for 3.6 or 3.7 and he's got an offer of 3.8 mil for it.

There's currently a Townace Noah Road Tourer (bodykitted version) on AL classifieds. Its not the top of the range model. but this is a facelifted version so it carries the 2.2l turbo intercooler diesel. priced at 4.6 million.

So i'm guessing it you are looking at about 5 mil if you are trying to pick up one of the last few (It went out of production in Oct 2001) Townace Royal Lounges or Liteace V's with all the options and that intercooled engine. although I havent seen any later fully specced models here

As for mine the last offer I got was 3.5 mil from a broker. an original of this vintage (97/98) should fetch around 4-4.5 mil

No two words thats a good work!

Hey why dont you stick to the previous set of wheels. They look better than current ones. Suggest you order new registration plates.Faded ones kill the new look ...Again awesome job done..Cheers!!

MINIACE

They are gone. sold to the neighborhood tyre shop for 12500. the owner fitted them to his delica and now thats gone too.

anyway those were too wide and they were rubbing against the sliding doors when we opened them. and the wheel bearings wore out a little too often too.

I went for these wheels for the sake of originality. cos those are factory wheels for the 4wd. but now I'm looking for a set of BBSs

friend, i have noticed that you have removed 4WD and convert in to 2WD as well. can you tel me fuel consumption of the 2C 4wd and now 3CT 2WD?

No I havent removed 4WD! Its still as much 4wd as it was before the build, except with newer diffs and gearbox to give more linear ratios and a higher top speed. So It should mechanically top out at 184 km/h on standard wheels and tyres.

anyway with the 2C engine I got only about 8 km/l in town and 12-14 out of town. with the new engine and gearing I get close to 10 in town and 12+ out of town under spirited driving. should get close to 15 I'm careful

what is this black paint? is it not your vehicle?

im guessing thats the base code..

and JadeyBlitzen: Nice job mate. not OVER modified like most of the noah's here

seriously my friend converted his cr to a noah and he painted it bright metalic orange..

what is this black paint? is it not your vehicle?

we painted it in black before going ahead with the white coat so we can find all the uneven areas and fix them.

im guessing thats the base code..

and JadeyBlitzen: Nice job mate. not OVER modified like most of the noah's here

seriously my friend converted his cr to a noah and he painted it bright metalic orange..

I know! people are just painting them in all sorts of random colours and adding chrome and stickers. I wanted to keep the looks completely original that's why I even went for those wheels and painted it in original Noah white.

If anyone needs help sourcing an original colour for a noah let me know.

I know! people are just painting them in all sorts of random colours and adding chrome and stickers. I wanted to keep the looks completely original that's why I even went for those wheels and painted it in original Noah white.

10 mins later

i am going to use the color 3R3 it is new toyota red that comes with Axio, belta, Alian and Prius

Edited by Schiffer
  • Like 1

i am going to use the color 3R3 it is new toyota red that comes with Axio, belta, Alian and Prius

Dude! you'll ruin it. Go for an original Noah red. check out these links

if you got a 42 this is the factory red http://www.net-park.co.jp/etc/toyota/carimgdisp.php?photo=CATA/5504/5504-07.jpg

That's painted in 3K3 (Red) at the top and 1C0 (Beige) at the bottom

If its a 41 go with 3N3 http://www.net-park.co.jp/etc/toyota/carimgdisp.php?photo=CATA/5503/5503-04.jpg thats 1A0 at the bottom

• Like 1