Jump to content

Journey With The Hiace

Magnum

1,506 views

It's been little more than 4 years with my Hiace and it has done around 76,000kms so I thought its time I give you guys an update on it.

Let me start the blog with the basics, 

Mine is a Toyota Hiace KDH206, this variant of Hiace is fitted with a 1KD-FTV turbo engine with an all wheel drive system. The AWD system in the KDH series is pretty much full time, it runs on all four wheels normally and if any of the wheels experience a slippage, the vehicle stops sending power to that specific wheel.
There is a noticeable difference between the AWD variant(KDH206) and RWD variant(KDH201). The KDH206 is around 100kg heavier and you could feel that through the steering when you drive one. In addition, the KDH206 feels far more planted at higher speeds and around corners than the RWD variant. However the downside is that the full time AWD system drinks bit more fuel than RWD version. 

Cost of Maintenance

In short the Hiace is not cheap run, I get fuel economy of around 6km/l in kandy and around 9-10km/l outstation, the RWD KDH201 would return around another extra 2km more per litre. Hiace is originally fitted with 195/80R15 8ply tyres and they cost around 22-23.5K per tyre from brands like Continental or Pirelli, while Maxxis tyre could be found for around 16k.
The Hiace requires 0W-30 oil and a regular service which needs to be carried out every 5000km costs around 10K using Toyota oil, I was using Toyota oil filter as well, but now I have switched to VIC.
ATF oil must be changed around every 40k kms, I change air filter and cabin filter every year.
 
It requires super diesel and this is an absolute must, if you regularly pump auto diesel you will pay more in repairs than what you saved by pumping auto diesel. The most likely issues you would get from pumping auto diesel are DPF, which costs around 70-80k to replace and injectors, which would set you back around 500k for all four.

So far I had to change only a bush which costed around 50rs, apart from that I have not had any repairs.

Performance

The Hiace pulls pretty well for a vehicle which weighs 2 tonnes, the 1KD-FTV with a variable nozzle turbo produces 100kw at 3400RPM and 300nm of torque at 1200-3200rpm and it is connected to a 4 speed conventional automatic gearbox. Overtaking other vehicles with Hiace is pretty easy, you just have to put your foot down, the turbo will come to life and you would be gone. It is always on the right gear, there's no unnecessary downshifts or up shifts, the gearing ratios are perfectly synced with the power band of the engine although it is only a 4 speed gearbox in a world of 6 and 7 speed gearboxes.
The Hiace properly comes to life on hill climbs with the help of low end power and variable nozzle turbo.
Handling is fairly good for a van, it handles better than large SUVs. The KDH series has much less body roll compared to the previous LH series, but it isn't great as handling of a car. I notice the difference in handling when I drive the Hiace after driving our Bluebird which has front and rear independent suspension.

Comfort

It doesn't handle large potholes and bumps as good as a car, but it does manage to soften small potholes pretty well. The diesel engine noise is evident compared to a hybrid or petrol vehicle but the noise reduces when the vehicle gets to the third gear or at around 70+ km/h speed. The A/C is epic on the Hiace, it is one of the best cooling A/C I have come across, I rarely have to set the A/C temperature below 26 degree Celsius on auto mode and that is without the dual A/C. 
There is plenty of space inside, 7 or 8 people could travel on long journeys with their legs stretched out and not crammed. The second row seat is the best place to be in, you get the dual A/C right in front of you, it is acoustic sweet spot and minimal sunlight enters the cabin.

Practicality

It is quite a practical vehicle if you are using it occasionally or for long journeys as it can seat 8 comfortably yet carry plenty of luggage(you could fit around 4-5 large travelling bag placed horizontally), it has got atleast double the amount of luggage space compared to a Noah/Esquire. However it is bit of waste of money if you are using it on daily basis as fuel bills are gone be crazy and parking these are not that easy within city limits. In addition, maneuvering these around narrow roads requires some skills especially roads with tight bends.

Second hand value and parts

Selling a KDH isn't difficult at all, if you maintain them right there will always be people willing it to buy it from you. There are plenty of body parts available but 1KD engine parts are bit difficult to find and even if you do find, it will be expensive

Some used parts prices are:

  • Pair of tail lights: 15k for older design and 30k for new design
  • Pair of headlight: more than 100k without the HID unit
  • Rear door: around 40k
  • Fog lights: around 20k

What I have done with my Hiace

The Modellista body kit came with the van from Japan itself and I added the Modellista grill later on

DSC-1416.jpg

Original Toyota spoiler which came painted pearl white

DSC-1348.jpg

DSC-1365.jpg

I tinted the fog lamps yellow with Nightbreaker bulbs in them

DSC-1402.jpg

I have also replaced the rear seats which are rotatable and come with a table as well

DSC-1409.jpg

I have done some electronic mods as well,

Installed a transcend DrivePro 200 

DSC-1414.jpg

Carrozzeria tweeters with crossover

DSC-1411.jpg

and JBL component speakers with crossover(thanks to @TheFlyingFox)

https://streamable.com/ujkce

I was planning on installing FIAMM horns, but the JDM side of my brain took over and I went with Mitsuba Alpha

https://streamable.com/nbipn

Note: click on the links to access the videos

My dad had the body kit removed for a short period of time and during that time I drove it through some muddy terrain. It did well. :D 

FB-IMG-1548232218580.jpg

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1


28 Comments


Recommended Comments



Thank you for sharing this.

Just curious, till what mileage you are planning to keep her? Or based on what other factors you would sell? (Not for buying purpose. But to know how long one can be attached to a well maintained vehicle)

Edited by firstgear

Share this comment


Link to comment

Thanks for sharing! I love reading ownership reviews like these. Looking forward for more.

BTW Project D didn't use Hiaces right, they used Mazda Bongos if I remember correct :D 

Share this comment


Link to comment
48 minutes ago, firstgear said:

Just curious, till what mileage you are planning to keep her? Or based on what other factors you would sell?

Bad mentality of selling a used one to a novice user when it needs maintenance....🤔🤔.

Share this comment


Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

 love reading ownership reviews like these.

yeah I kind of got that vibe :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, firstgear said:

Thank you for sharing this.

Just curious, till what mileage you are planning to keep her? Or based on what other factors you would sell? (Not for buying purpose. But to know how long one can be attached to a well maintained vehicle)

Haven't planned on selling it yet, even if I do sell, it will be in like 3-4 years or even more.People say if we maintain these right they will run past 300,000 Kms without any trouble

I may sell it if Toyota comes with a new Hiace, that is the 300 series, but I wouldn't buy it immediately after the release.

Toyota did release an update to the 200, that is GDH201 and GDH206 which comes with a 1GD-FTV engine mated to a 6 forward transmission. I don't have any idea of upgrading it to it.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Thanks for sharing! I love reading ownership reviews like these. Looking forward for more.

BTW Project D didn't use Hiaces right, they used Mazda Bongos if I remember correct :D 

Yes! :D

it was either a Mazda Bongo or a Bongo Brawny 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, tilvin said:

Bad mentality of selling a used one to a novice user when it needs maintenance....🤔🤔.

All it needs is simple basic maintenance but some people try to skip those as well. For example any turbo engine requires times services if not the old oil will damage the turbo unit. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
16 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Thanks for sharing! I love reading ownership reviews like these. Looking forward for more.

BTW Project D didn't use Hiaces right, they used Mazda Bongos if I remember correct :D 

Guys at other ela forum need to learn a lot on how to write an unbiased ownership review like this :P

Share this comment


Link to comment

Nice van.!

Is this used for passenger carrying purposes or home/personal use?

I know back in the day people used small Vans as family vehicles (even in a 3 person household) because they were cost efficient to buy due to low tax. Is it still the norm?  

LiteAce/TownAce type small vans are not so popular these days isn't it?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, MrCat said:

Nice van.!

Is this used for passenger carrying purposes or home/personal use?

I know back in the day people used small Vans as family vehicles (even in a 3 person household) because they were cost efficient to buy due to low tax. Is it still the norm?  

LiteAce/TownAce type small vans are not so popular these days isn't it?

 

 

 

 

 

This is for my personal use. There are people who is it for tourism purpose as well, I heard middle Eastern tourists prefer them.

LiteAce/TownAce is now called as Noah/Voxy/Esquire

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, hrm said:

Guys at other ela forum need to learn a lot on how to write an unbiased ownership review like this :P

Do they have written reviews as well? I thought they only had video reviews

Share this comment


Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Do they have written reviews as well? I thought they only had video reviews

Yeah I was actually referring to ownership reviews of some members in the forum where they are good until you come to fuel consumption part. Not all are bad though. Their Youtube video reviews are great most of the time.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, hrm said:

Guys at other ela forum need to learn a lot on how to write an unbiased ownership review like this :P

Biased or unbiased, I just love reading ownership reviews... I've spent hours binge reading 'em over at the Indian equivalent of Autolanka forum, team-bhp. 

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, hrm said:

Yeah I was actually referring to ownership reviews of some members in the forum where they are good until you come to fuel consumption part. Not all are bad though. Their Youtube video reviews are great most of the time.

I don't understand the reason why people exaggerate fuel economy. It's probably because most people consider a successful car purchase as one that's highly economical.

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, Magnum said:

I don't understand the reason why people exaggerate fuel economy. It's probably because most people consider a successful car purchase as one that's highly economical.

And also to keep a higher resale value when they sell it.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Biased or unbiased, I just love reading ownership reviews... I've spent hours binge reading 'em over at the Indian equivalent of Autolanka forum, team-bhp. 

 

I read TB official reviews mostly. Individual reviews are hit or miss.

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, hrm said:

And also to keep a higher resale value when they sell it.

Probably. Btw tyres affect fuel economy, the earlier tyres I had use to give me bit better fuel economy, but it didn't have grip like the continental tyres

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
13 hours ago, hrm said:

 

I read TB official reviews mostly. Individual reviews are hit or miss.

You're missing out a lot man, it's exhilarating to see how passionate some of the guys there about their cars! Official reviews are good if you want pros and cons of a car, but an ownership report has something much more to it.

Check out this and this.  Bet their wives don't get as much as affection and care as their cars get. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

You're missing out a lot man, it's exhilarating to see how passionate some of the guys there about their cars! Official reviews are good if you want pros and cons of a car, but an ownership report has something much more to it.

Check out this and this.  Bet their wives don't get as much as affection and care as their cars get. 

I read the Cedia one and yes they are exceptional. Well I do read most of the things there actually and wish AL would also become such advanced forum someday. Thing is India being a large country with a substantial middle class such forum can attract so many valuable members. I even read PakW***ls forum.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 1/25/2019 at 4:30 PM, hrm said:

I read the Cedia one and yes they are exceptional. Well I do read most of the things there actually and wish AL would also become such advanced forum someday. Thing is India being a large country with a substantial middle class such forum can attract so many valuable members. I even read PakW***ls forum.

I go through teamBHP as well, I found couple of Hiace threads on it as well :D

 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I found couple of Hiace threads on it as well :D

 

1

I, too, searched for CY Lancers on that forum... :D 

GLmwtjL.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×