Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    5
  • comments
    45
  • views
    945

About this blog

After the world war, the Morris Motors Limited (UK) started manufacturing Morris Minor cars and it is said that more than 1.6 million were manufactured between 1948 and 1972. There were 3 series the MM, Series II & 1000. Considerable number of Morris Minor cars had imported here because of Sri Lanka too ruled by United Kingdom till 1948. I found a Minor 1000 manufactured in 1958 and this blog for restoring project of it.

 

Entries in this blog

Project Moggie - Painting

Painting was a most challenging field for me. Because never attempt to do a vehicle paint job earlier other than painting walls in the house . But I have watched (not seen) many times how a painter working from applying filler to last coat. There is a neighbor who do paint jobs and that was a big strength for me as it is possible to clarify somethings from him. So finally decided to learn the art of painting by Moggie. Gathered the basic knowledge from reading some articles and found following video very informative. Also these two technical books. How To Paint A Car At Home In 4 Easy Steps (video)  Causeway Automotive Paints (pdf) Debeer Paints (pdf) Next challenge was a paint gun and a air compressor. Bought a F75 paint spray gun and some flexible hose after expending around Rs 2500. But a air compressor is bit expensive. So again started to find alternatives. Firstly bough a 'paint zoom paint sprayer'. Though it could use with my spray gun with modified hose, the air pressure was not enough to spray well. So found an old deep freezer compressor and a empty AC gas tank. Used them with a foot air pump pressure gauge and some clips to make my air compressor. What could not find was a safety pressure release valve. So had to keep eye on the gauge frequently. When I get familiar with spray gun, watching pressure gauge was not essential as it can feel pressure via spray flame. Tried to remove existing paint in most body panels as the first job. Because the floorboard was completely new it made my task easy.

kusumsiri

kusumsiri

Project Moggie - Mechanical Work

All mechanical work on the project Moggie will discuss here. This was the differential original status. Cleaned & painted differential  Back brake liners were wet with leaked differential oil because of weak oil seals. Found matching oil seal from local market and hope it will fix the leaking. Cleaned & painted brake shoes with newly applied liners. Cleaned and painted leaf springs Present status  

kusumsiri

kusumsiri

Project Moggie - Bodywork

Bodywork started after disassembling almost all parts. Remain only the outer shell of the car with wiring harness which can not pullout easily. Gauge 14 & 18 zinc coated metal sheets used for most places. Firstly cut the right side of the chassis and welded new bar. Then the left side and floor board plates one by one. All door bottoms, front and back wings repaired. Mean time door hinge pins refilled at a lathe workshop.  Finally attached all doors and wings again to check the aligning. Carbide 9kg and a oxygen cylinder consumed for this works.

kusumsiri

kusumsiri

Project Moggie - Disassemble Body Parts

Restoration work began. The idea is to work at home. Found a person to do the tinker work. I do the mechanical work and hoping to do the paint job as well in the future. Firstly removed the interior parts such as car seats. After that, the four doors were removed. Then front and back wings, bonnet & boot. Finally the differential and the engine were removed.  

kusumsiri

kusumsiri

Project Moggie - Initial Status

The car was exposed to the sunlight & rain for a long time. So there was corrosion on almost all body panels and floorboard too. Cleaned the plug wires, filled the tank, connected a charged battery and attempt to start it. After several attempt it started. The destination (my home) was 120 km and we started the journey around 11.00 am. As I was aware cars condition, selected rural roads. Brakes were very weak. So could not exceed 30kmh. During the trip had to replace a tire and the fan belt. Finally reached to the destination around 9.00 pm. Here are some initial condition pictures. Special thanks should go to @Davy for encouraging me to write this in a discussion.    

kusumsiri

kusumsiri

Sign in to follow this  


×